Hydrangea has lots of flower buds but they do not bloom

nhbloomerJune 2, 2010

I have a hydrangea that has a lot of flower buds but only 1 or 2 of them will actually bloom. The blooms are a lightblue/pale yellow color. The plant gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Any suggestions as to why the buds won't bloom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

Can you post a picture?

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 1:18AM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

What happens to the buds that do not bloom? Do they brown out or disappear (are they getting eaten by some pest)?

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 3:41AM
nhbloomer

Sorry I took so long to reply. The buds are not getting eaten, right now there has got to bee at least 50 large flower buds, some of them have a couple of petal open around the edges. I will take a picture when it stops raining. I have had this plant for about 4-5 years, at first I was cutting it down in the fall, then discovered that is why I had no buds, now I don't prune and get lots of buds that won't bloom!!!

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 9:27PM
nhbloomer

photos of hydrangea that won't bloom

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 9:06PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

It looks like you are growing a lacecap hydrangea, and it looks normal to me--although I've never grown a lacecap. One reason I've avoided them is because they do not get those big "mophead" blooms that many gardeners want from their hydrangeas. Were you expecting a mophead bloom? If so, you will have to plant a mophead instead of a lacecap.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your problem, but for a lacecap, your hydrangea is looking pretty good.

Kate

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 11:30AM
kkgoodie

Kate is correct, you have a lacecap hydrangea. What you see is all you will get from this hydrangea. Although I think it looks pretty good because I like lacecaps.. I bought some aluminum sulfate at my garden center and added it to my lacecap. The flowers are now very deep dark blue and much more striking than they were before.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
sally6340
Deer resistant hydrangea?
Hello! I am looking to replace some shrubs this spring...
chelseahasrouni
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
Kristin
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™