New Yorker's take a STAND!

Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)February 24, 2012

And Win!

"The argument is simple," said Goldstein. "New York state laws shouldn't override the authority of local governments to protect their constituents."

In a decision that could set a national precedent for how local governments can regulate gas drilling, a New York state court yesterday ruled for the first time that towns have the right to ban drilling despite a state regulation asserting they cannot.

At issue was a zoning law in Dryden, a township adjacent to Ithaca and the Cornell University campus, where drilling companies have leased some 22,000 acres for drilling. In August, Dryden's town board passed a zoning law that prohibits gas drilling within town limits. The next month, Denver-based Anschutz Exploration Corp. sued the town, saying the ban was illegal because state law trumped the municipal rules.

It has become the little guy (townships/towns) versus the state. The little guy who has invested his/her life in a community should have the right to decline "fracking". Surely you agree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taking on the big guy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ohiomom

Totally agree ... was this land leased from private owners or is it municipal land ?

Win for the little guy !! Woo Hoo !!!

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 2:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labrea_gw

Bravo...ses if dictator Cuomo agrees

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
Bill O'Reilly's ongoing lie
Bill O'Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem "*...
momj47
html coding
It seems to work for me if I use small case letters...
duluthinbloomz4
Italics and Bold is back Houzz is listening!
There is now an I (italics) and a**B (bold) **key in...
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
What goes around ...
.....comes around "It wasn't supposed to be like...
ohiomom
The Universe #2
Just starting up a second thread with mom47's last...
vgkg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™