Starting hydroponics

JeevsMay 21, 2013

Hello everyone. I'd like to start a Hydroponic Ebb and Flow system, because it seems like the most beneficial and effective, so I would like people opinions, methods and building/purchasing help. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

I'm not really sure if I got my zone correct (3a) ahah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jeff_H

Is this for indoor or outdoor?

I wouldn't recommend E and F for outdoor grows. Too much surface area to collect rain water.

What are you planning on growing? That will determine what type of hydro system is the best.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:16AM
grizzman

you can put a lid on it to limit collection of rain water outside. I used 1/2" styrofoam then cut holes for each plant. it also acts to reduce heat gain through the medium, reduce evaporation, and keeps bugs from laying eggs in your medium.
I like EnF because, with a suitable medium, you can be pretty negligent of them and they're unlikely to dry out. on the other hand, they're heavy and you won't be moving them very often.
I built a simple frame from privacy fence boards (for the bottom) and 1x4's for the side approximately 24" x 48" then double lined the whole thing with plastic. one wrong choice I made and would recommend against was I put the drain in a corner. because of the bunching of plastic, it was very difficult to make it not leak. If I were to redo it, I would move the drain hole more to the center.
This picture shows basically how it works:

I used lava rock as a medium and only had to flood it every 4 hours or so.
Personally, I'm more a fan of NFT but I liked the EnF too.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:42AM
fivekulps(6/7LOU, KY)

Search youtube for A-frame hydroponic. We made our system based on that design, its been a challenge to regulate the flow but its working fantastically now! We also installed the dutch buckets for our tomatoes.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Starting plants from grocery store cuttings
This is something that I have been playing around with...
Kyle A
New to hydroponics
I just found out about the idea of hydroponics after...
kesaber
Using Gravel as a growing media
This thread is created, and only for people who have...
homehydro
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™