Is really necesary the overflow tube in the Dutch Bucket System??

jamesvladMay 27, 2010

Hi everyone. I started to build my own Dutch Bucket System. I tested the owerflow tube (a inverted "U") that works like a syphon. When the water reaches a determined level, this tube suck out almost all the liquid.

My owerflow tube works well, but I realized that using a drip system, the inverted "U" don´t work, because it´s necesary to add a big quantity of water to make the syphon work, and the drip system provide little water to make the syphon effect.

So I think that it´s not necesary to adapt a inverted "U", a simple tube is enough to discharge water excess, when using drip system.

What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homehydro

It basically depends on your growing medium, watering schedule, plants your growing, size of the containers, temperature, so it really depends on what you are going for. If you want a small amount (reserve) left in each bucket, you can use the "U" shaped tube. If you are looking for more/better drainage, the straight tube would be the way to go. You can also set the overflow level to any height you wanted to adjust how much is left at the bottom in-between cycles.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 1:58AM
chefchad(5)

how do keep the reserve nutrient solution fresh in the bottom of the dutch bucket system?
Does the inverted U create enough suction to remove the "older" solution?

thank you,

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 6:49PM
Ricksindoorgarden(5A)

I have been growing in bato buckets for years and always used the U shaped siphon tubes. I know that when I shut off the nutrient feed I am left with about 1 1/2" to 2" of solution in the bottom of the bucket. My flow rates are sufficient that every time I feed, enough solution enters the bucket to displace the older solution on the bottom.

One advantage to having the solution on the bottom is if I am away for a day or two and for some reason all or even one bucket is not refreshed with new nutrient, there is a reserve on the bottom so the plant can draw from it. This has saved me more than once.

For these reasons I would vote to add the U tube so you are assured to maintain the liquid on the bottom and make sure your flow rate feeds at least the volume you retain daily to keep the reserve fresh.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Need Aeroflo 36 in CA!
Looking for a lightly used aeroflo 36 in CA or willing...
nedgecomb
PonicsPal the latest in hydroponics growth management software & FREE!
http://ponicspal.com Introducing PonicsPal, the latest...
PonicsPal
Sponsored Products
simplehuman Slim Open Recycler Can
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Copper Elegance Champagne Bucket
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Champagne Round Crystal Ice Bucket
Classic Hostess
Cradle Me Lounge Seat
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Bucket of Shells Key Lime One-Light Table Lamp
$189.95 | Bellacor