Iris lazica

bubba62February 13, 2009

I have a clump of Iris lazica which is planted in nearly full sun in well-drained clay/loam; it's been there, growing well, for at least 6 years, but has never produced a bloom. Ironically, I bought it as a more "dependable" alternative to I. unguicularis for our area. Unguicularis, however, does bloom for me intermittently every year. Any thoughts on what might trigger the lazica into blooming?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovelyiris

I'm not sure but I would say it's lacking something in the soil. Fertilize it with something low in Nitrogen, but I would fertilize it with something as soon as it is showing signs of recovering from the winter.

Happy Gardening, Marian

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

I planted my I. lazica in dappled/deciduous shade because I read that it prefers shadier conditions than I. unguicularis. It sits over the top of a culvert so the rain water all runs down that way, but the drainage is also great. Gets no extra water during drought. Mine isn't full of blooms like some pictures I've seen, but it has bloomed reliably every spring for the past 3-4 years. I think it took ~2 years to settle in before the first blooms -- the first winter was kind of rough because the deer kept yanking it out of the ground and I had to replant it several times.

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™