Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden

HerbFebruary 18, 2005

There are some pictures here of the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden on the campus of California State University, Long Beach. If you are interested in Koi they include several rather spectacular pictures of them -

Click here

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsuki(9)

Hi Herb,
Thanks for the link. Very pretty gardens...the fish pics are really interesting/strange too...like this one :)
This one reminds me of a (true)story I read about a couple of birds that had lost their babies to a wind storm (nest fell out of tree) & they still had such a stong feeding instinct they were actually feeding some fish in a pond.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish Feeding Frenzy

Bookmark   March 4, 2005 at 9:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herb

tsuki -

Another striking picture!

What you wrote about the birds feeding the fish because of their strong parenting instinct reminds me of the (true) account of a lioness somewhere in Africa who'd lost her cubs, and who found a baby impala or some such herbivore that had lost it's mother, and the lioness tried to adopt it, even though normally, she'd have eaten it. (Her attempt wasn't a success). Then, a year or two ago, there was the female gorilla who rescued a little boy who'd fallen into the gorillas' enclosure. And there are accounts of dolphins saving humans from drowing. I incline to think that humans' attraction towards puppies and kittens is the same sort of phenomenon.

Bookmark   March 4, 2005 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
Need help choosing plants in JG style
Hi, I need help of the folks with experiences in Japanese...
green_go
Young Japanese Maple Trunk Rot?
Hi Guys Spring has finally hit Australia and our 2...
AWBL
e-1 size
Can you keep a j m emperor 1 at 8 to 10 feet when they...
shieldsr
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
Where can I find buyers for these large rocks/boulders?
Hi we are thinking to re-landscape our yard. The previous...
fggirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™