Beginner - Zone 5 plants

ogopogoMarch 6, 2006

I'm sure that there has been discussion on this, but I can't seem to find too much by searching.

I am starting to plan a small/mid sized (~600-1000 sq. ft) japanese garden and am needing a little help with what plants I should use.

For trees, I have decided on planting a Weeping Higan Cherry as well as a Acer Palmatum Fascination. I have room for a third one, and would like for it to have most of its appeal during Summer/Early fall.

For bushes, I have chosen a Korean Spice Viburnum, but nothing other than that.

I haven't found too much of concerning low-lying plants, flowers, or ground cover. I suppose I could use one of the many types of low-lying bamboo.

Lastly, I have Phyllostachys nuda that I intend to plant on two rows of terraces (about 1-1.5 ft wide by maybe 30-40 ft). Hopefully they will have enough growing room to survive the winters.

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks!

- DF

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregoryjohn(z4b/IL)

DF,

Last Fall I inquired about ground covers. See the below link for the many fine replies I received.

Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Ground Covers

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 8:08AM
bahamababe(z4 VT)

Why cherry? I recommend you ditch that idea and use evergreens instead.

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 12:40PM
ogopogo

Thanks for the link Greg... I think I will be going with the Salix repens for a groundcover...

bahamababe, as for the cherry. I thoroughly enjoy a good sakura. The color of the weeping cherry trees when in full bloom are just beautiful to me. As for winter, snow collected on the weeping branches looks great as well.

Now I just need to figure out what I am going to do about the steep slope that is my back yard. Its on a ~45 degree angle for a good 25 feet or so. Would like to terrace it, but that is probably more work than I can accomplish right now.

Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 2:50PM
matrinka

I agree with your choice of cherry. Beautiful in bud and leaf, and the stark elegance of the tree in winter, when snow graces the bare branches. My own weeping cherry sadly was lost to a very harsh winter a few years back. I'll be replacing it with another this fall, I hope, as I miss the grace and beauty of that tree.

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Young Japanese Maple Trunk Rot?
Hi Guys Spring has finally hit Australia and our 2...
AWBL
Need help choosing plants in JG style
Hi, I need help of the folks with experiences in Japanese...
green_go
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
other varieties of cherry blossom trees?
I just planted two Kanzan and one Yoshino cherry blossom...
Socal2warm
Canadian west coast winter
Not a desirable state for a layout aspiring to look...
hitchhogg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™