Need help desciding

fluffy_bamboo(Zone 9)April 16, 2007

I need help with what to plant in my frontyard planter area. The area is about 2 1/2' x 12' and gets lots of sun. I live in the San Fernando Valley where it does get hot in the summer. I like plants that are beautiful and different. My favorites that I have now are Bamboo's, Japanese Maples, grasses and Elephant Ears. Any Suggestions? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blacky1

From what I know of Japanese Maples, Bamboo's, Elephant ears all require some dapple shaded areas and some moist soil. Depanding on the grasses some also need shade. You want to look at plants that do well in hot, dry climates. There are really good books on dry area plants. You can also speak with your local nurseries for advice and see their plants. Once you know the plants you like, you can sometimes buy the unusal ones online.

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 1:49PM
eileen98290

If you like bamboo, you might also like nandina. They come in a variety of sizes. It doesn't get as hot here in the Puget Sound area as you experience, but I have a couple of these against the west-facing wall of my house, where they bake all afternoon when it's sunny. We had a very hot summer last year (for around here, that is...) and these plants seemed to love it.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 3:05PM
Russ Chard

Hi,
I saw your post and thought I would point you in the direction of my Japanese Garden Blog- it's packed full of free information and great pictures , maybe for a bit of inspiration!?

www.japzen.wordpress.com

Hope you like it.

Regards
Japzen

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.japzengardens.org

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 3:24AM
More Discussions
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
e-1 size
Can you keep a j m emperor 1 at 8 to 10 feet when they...
shieldsr
my little piece of japan (2)
what do you think ???
elramonegouda
Canadian west coast winter
Not a desirable state for a layout aspiring to look...
hitchhogg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™