bombshell hydrangea

buttercupia(zone4 IA)July 10, 2011

Hi, I have been very interested in the

"Bombshell" Hydrangea. The tag states that it is zone 3 or 4, and is extremely cold hardy, but the temperatures are listed down to -4F and =20C. Does anyone know if these are really hardy in Zone 4 and will bloom next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

It is a paniculata introduction from Ball Horticulture. They claim it is good to -30F:

http://www.ballhort.com/Nursery/plant_info.aspx?phid=034001085023790

Other online nursery vendors either repeated that information or gave estimate to either hardy to Zone 3 or hardy to Zone 4. For example, Better Home and Gardens said Z4:

http://www.bhg.com/garden-store/flowers-plants/shrubs/hydrangea/bombshell-hydrangea.html

It is quite new so not much information is available from consumers who have tried them. But paniculatas in general do well in Zone 4. If you order by mail, be prepared to wait for shipping until either after summer temperatures recede or until Spring 2012 if they sold out.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 3:14AM
buttercupia(zone4 IA)

Thanks for your reply. I did buy a couple of them and they did make it through the winter, although it was a very mild one here in Iowa this year. We'll see how well they do this summer!

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 3:54PM
marcindy(z5b, Indianapolis, IN)

Buttercupia, how are the Bombshell hydrangeas doing so far? My Lowe's has some, at a pretty steep price, but I am looking for something in their height range to replace this spirea hedge that has been bothering me for almost ten years now. It has to go, and I consider to replace it with a low hedge of Bombshell or Little Lime hydrangeas. Any feedback on how thye look, and what height they have for you would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 9:50PM
greenhavenrdgarden

Just chiming in that I am IN LOVE with Little Lime. I have 3 and plan on buying many more. They have so many blooms despite 2 of them being very very young plants. Everyone that sees them asks me what they are. Simply stunning.
I haven't seen bombshell yet and I'm interested in that too but I'm not sure if it could be any better than Little Lime.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon 6a SE MA
New addition
New hydrangea I just picked up at Lowes
emrogers
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
sally6340
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Christmas Bouquet Fresh Christmas Door Swag
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Baxton Studio Kimmett Beige/ Pink Linen Floral Accent Chair
Overstock.com
Hydrangea Perry Textured Woven Throw Pillow
$19.99 | zulily
Blue Splendor Vase
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Peony and Hydrangea Long Polyester Arrangement
Overstock.com