How big are the flowers?

hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)February 7, 2010

I'm looking at Spurias and Louisiana irises, which I believe I may be able to grow here in Southern California.

How big is the average Spuria flower? Are they like fortnight lily (moorea, dietes)?

How about Louisianas? I imagine the size is variable, but-the size of a quarter? A person's hand?

Has anyone had success with these irises in Southern California? I have a pond...

Renee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I would say a spuria flower overall 4" x 4" ???. Standards about 2-3" tall -- some vertical & some at 45 degrees. Falls curving over - 3" long? I'll have to measure this spring.

Louisiana blooms are larger than Dietes. 3.5" to 4". Heather Pryor's gorgeous intros look larger.

I grew Louisianas 5 miles from the ocean, 20 miles south of Los Angeles. Sunset zone 24. I don't remember seeing spurias there.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 11:38PM
andinsky(z10 SoCal)

Hi Renee, Spuria Irises do very well in Southern California. While the blooms average is 4" - 5," the plants themselves grow between 4' - 5.' Some varieties grow better than others. They grow taller in the West normally.
Louisianas grow very well in this area too, but in average need more water than Spurias. Some members of our club grow Louisiana's in small ponds, but I personally grow them directly in the grown closer to a sprinkler head. The Lousiana blooms are about 5" in average with a great variety of colors and patterns.
You can see them in person in the garden during the annual San Fernando Valley Iris Society Trek this April 24th.

Andi

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Lover

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 3:10PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I'll be there, Andi!
Thanks for the tip and the info.
Renee

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 2:15AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™