Japnese Maple: Crimson Queen or Tayukeyama for this spot?

staceyneilApril 9, 2010

Hi there,

I was hoping you might be able to help me. I am trying to decide between two dissectum maples and I am coming across conflicting information. Can anyone advise?

I am choosing between Crimson Queen and Tamukeyama. Both plants have high grafts, the Tamukeyama a bit higher. My concern is that I want to keep the plant fairly low, like 4-6'. It is for a foundation grouping in a space about 8' x 10' with a window at 5' that I don't want to block too much. I'm mainly concerned about the growth in the next 5 years, not 15 years from now (I know- selfish... but if I stay here I know I can prune it!). The plants are #7 gallon pots.

I have read conflicting information about growth habits, size, and growth rates between these two cultivars.

I like the color of the Tamukeyama better, and plants itself looks a bit older, but if there's a good reason to choose Crimson Queen, it's a very close second :) I'd prefer a more irregular weeping habit to a dense mound...

(The planting location is sheltered, with east exposure and shade in the afternoon. Zone 5)

Thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike519(z7AL)

Stacey,

Our Tamukeyama is about 25 years old and is about 5-1/2 feet tall (but wider). The Crimson Queens seem similar in their rates of growth but are not as old so I can't say for sure. Soil and rainfall could make a difference.

Mike519

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:03PM
staceyneil

Thanks!! I decided on the Tamukeyama. :)

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 9:22AM
dc212

I had the same exact problem with differences in descriptions. I own 2 (3 ft or so) Tamukeyamas. I purchased them last Fall (at a steal of an end-of-season price) and the color last Fall was to die for (Scarlet)..This year, the color is beautiful so far (crimson/plum). My trees (don't know why they are called trees) are kind of on the wispy side, I only hope the branches fill in more...either way, it's such a graceful plant! beautiful weeping habit

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Mini Zen Garden inspired display
Saludos desde Puerto Rico! I plan to make a 3 level,...
Bryan_Boricua
Lantern
Some pagoda lanterns in my Japanese Garden.
Meezplz
Pine Cloud pruning advice
I need some advice on pruning this pine. Here is a...
diyspa
Can gravel be kept clean with a leaf blower?
Can graveled areas be kept clean with a leaf blower?...
castorp
Need help choosing plants in JG style
Hi, I need help of the folks with experiences in Japanese...
green_go
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™