Little Lamb Disappointment

MollyDog(6 PA)July 30, 2012

I have had six Little Lambs for about 5 years. The branches are weak and as soon as they bloom they sprawl. This year, as in most years, the blooms really browned at the bases. I don't think it is from lack of it is from lack of water. We did have several really hot days. Could the heat be the cause? I'm sure I will have to deadhead before I see any pink, I'm so disappointed. This seems to happen every year. Thinking of replacing two of them with Little Lime.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Most likely. Browning of the leaf edges is what they do when stressed by high temperatures and lack of soil moisture. Especially this time of the year. I have the drip irrigation set to go twice a week but it does not reach all of the surface roots well so once I week I manually water and that lasts at least a week. Something you have to do when the temps are regularly in the 100s and there is no rain.

Try also making sure that they have 3-4" of organic mulch (if they have less than that or no mulch). Spread it outwards towards the drip line or a little further than that if the location is windy.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MollyDog(6 PA)

The leaf edges are fine, only the flowers have browned mostly at the bases. I think they are being replaced with Little Limes.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™