All Summer Beauty

isabella__MA(z5_MA)July 2, 2005

Is ASB a re-blooming hydranea and does it bloom on old and/or new wood? I have read conflicting reports on this, so I want to ask peope who grow it.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lauren_StL(z5/6 Mo)

I grow four of these. I actually e-mailed Bluestone, where I got them from to ask about this. They replied that they bloom on old wood. However, I know that mine have also bloomed on new wood (early season blooms) and I currently have blooms that are coming off of old blooms. My plants are two year old plants and have been doing wonderfully, but I agree with you that there is definitely conflicting info out there on them.

Good Luck,
Lauren

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 6:14PM
yellowgirl(z9aOrlandoFL)

According to Dirr, they bloom on old and new wood.....yg

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 9:42AM
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

Great!! I'll be planting more of these, and maybe an endless summer. If it blooms on old and new wood, then it should be as easy to grow as an Annabelle.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 7:50PM
eks6426(5b)

I have 2 of these from Bluestone. They are in their 3rd summer. They most definitely bloom on new wood as mine die back to the ground every winter. I'm in zone 5b. So, far I am doing better with the All Summer Beauty than the Endless Summer...but time will tell. Mine aren't as big and vigorous as Annabelle (also from Bluestone)...they're probably 1/2 the size right now and they were all planted the same year.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 5:39PM
Molineux(6b)

How big of a bush is ALL SUMMER BEAUTY compared to ENDLESS SUMMER?

Love Endless Summer but it doesn't look like it wants to get over the 3 foot mark. I'd like something bigger.

Lastly, are the flowers a deeper blue/pink? The sky blue color of ES is pretty but something deeper would be nice for contrast.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 9:34AM
yellowgirl(z9aOrlandoFL)

ASB is not intensely pigmented and is known for being a lighter blue/pink. My ES are a very deep blue/violet. It's not just the plant alone, but rather a combination of the plant's natural pigmentation and the soil ph that make for the final color outcome. I was told by Wilkerson Mills nursery that the more heavily pigmented the plant (ie Enziandom) the less likely it is to repeat-bloom. ASB is also not one of the larger hydrangeas at about 3.5 x 3.5 (ish).....yg

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 9:48AM
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

Hi All,
My ASB had a light blue coloration... almost a white with a slight blue tinting. My ASB are still young and not at mature size.

I have seen recent web-entries that cite ASB as blooming on new wood... I will be looking to see if the old wood is alive and yields flowers. At any rate I am very happy with this hydrangea.

Bookmark   May 10, 2006 at 7:12PM
tam88(z5 IA)

This is interesting. I have a ASB that has been planted for about 4-5 years and has never bloomed! For those of you that have gotten blooms are you doing winter protection? Just curious.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 3:58PM
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

No special winter protection...

just the usual weed control mulch around the plant. I leave the old wood in place. Mine is planted near the house, so some wind protection is afforded.

My zone 5 may be more of a -6 or 5+. I was an adopted Cornhusker before moving to southeast MA, and I can tell you my winters are not as brutual here.

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Temperatures supposed to be in mid-twenties...
Saturday night here in piedmont NC...I have seven fairly...
nini804
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
New addition
New hydrangea I just picked up at Lowes
emrogers
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
where to order hydrangea?
Hi, I want to get Zinfin Doll and Bloomstruck hydrangea...
Brooks23
Sponsored Products
Vallery Rug 10' x 14' - LIGHT GREEN
$5,799.00 | Horchow
Desk Lamp: Mission 2-Post Desk Lamp 6065/445
Home Depot
Select Luxury Reversible 12-inch Full-size Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Navy Divine Wool-Blend Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Quoizel Dury 14 1/2" Wide Silver Leaf Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus