3 little gifts

dray67(7)June 16, 2012

My Wife was shopping with her mother in Lancaster PA yesterday and brought me home this surprise. 3 Hosta that i know very little about.

Fire Works, Remember Me, and American Sweetheart.

I tend to be drawn to giants, Blues and Yellows because my hosta garden is designed to be viewed from our deck about 25 yards away. These are small so i need to figure out where to put them. I also have BIG MAPLE trees so roots are an issue.

Should i keep them potted for a season? Any tips on how much sun?

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coll_123(5)

If you want Remember Me to remain a white/cream hosta, you should put it somewhere where it gets a fair bit of my sun. I don't have much sun, so my two Remember Me's each remain on the light yellow side for most of the season. It grows slow, but is lovely. What a nice surprise gift!

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 8:24AM
thisismelissa

I have Remember Me... very little sun and it is pretty yellow inj the center. Yes, it's a slow grower.

Like you, I'm also drawn to the giants, but now I wish that wasn't the case.

I'm so overcrowded now, I don't think I can buy anymore.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:17AM
luckykat13

Very nice Dave. Do you know where she got them. I live 30 minutes from Lancaster and I am always looking for a new source. I have pretty much drained the options in the Reading area:). Thanks. Gail

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 10:40AM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Last year Ken said that everyone should have one of these. That worked for me. Any reason is good! He was right. (Cannot make proper change for 2 dimes but knows his hostas.) It has been a fast grower and mine is in 8 hrs of sunlight. When on a Hosta Walk it catches my eye and I just want to say "Thanks Ken" this one is a winner. So much so I ordered 2 more this year. Have a great grow day, Paula

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 12:30PM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Oh it was an American Sweetheart. LOL Too much sun already! Dave you have a good wife! Paula

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 12:34PM
dray67(7)

She says she got them at Layseres in Myerstown closer to Lebanon.
Any One know any thing about Firerworks?

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 12:36PM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Yeah,Fireworks was a pathetic little hosta that didn't even make it through the second year for me! I'm just not a big fan of minis,but I do like white-centred hostas;maybe because they're a challenge. American Sweetheart grows well for me for several years now. Never found a Remember Me. Phil

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 9:35PM
irawon(5a Ottawa)

I started off with two 'Fireworks'. One died, the second one is hanging on for dear life. I have found it a difficult mini to grow although I have had good luck with others. I grow all my minis in the ground. Your 'Firework' looks more robust, however, than mine did when I got it. Since it doesn't have much chlorophyl, I would think it would do best in gentle morning light. Good luck with yours.

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
got pots ...
after a week in the 40s and 50s.. i can finally see...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
They are 'eyes' not pips
It is racist to use the word 'pips' I am told … dave...
bragu_DSM 5
When could I remove the covers from the 2 ceramic pots of mini hostas?
The in-ground hostas are still very much in dormancy....
Esther-B, Zone 7b
Help for new hostas
Hallo everybody.I 'm from Greece and I would like to...
anthi_gr
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™