Proper Japanese word for this ..

joefromsd(San Diego)April 10, 2005

I posted this Online Album on the gallery page awhile back.

Now, I call this an azumaya, but is that the proper name for a structure like this ?

I know the roof style is called irimoya, but what would a Japanese person call this structure ?

Here is a link that might be useful: azumaya ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joefromsd(San Diego)

Oh, if you want to see all 20 pics, click on 'Show All' at the top of the yellow album box. Then, when you open up each pic, look right, and click View>Original Size, to enlarge the image.

    Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't know what a Japanese person would call it but this Missourian calls a great space.

Here in Mo. it would need a standing seam copper roof and skeeter screening.

Way too cool.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 12:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joefromsd(San Diego)

aye, that is a beautiful space. My client is a tai-chi master, and he asked for an outdoor dojo area at his home, where he can practice and teach.

Gets pretty hot here in San Diego in the summer !

So George, what do you think is the proper name for this structure ? Is Yama san around .. I wonder what he would call it.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joefromsd(San Diego)

George, I think it's spelled with a z. I just tried a search for asumaya and only came up with your website. Search for azumaya and you get all kinds of hits.

You know, I'm really wondering if this is the correct word for an outdoor structure like this.

    Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 6:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In my Japanese/English dictionary,
Azumaya=Arbor, Summerhouse, a bower, a kiosk.

Joe, you are right about calling it Azumaya.

There are no such thing called ASUMAYA.

    Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joefromsd(San Diego)

Thanks Kiki ! Arbor, Summerhouse, a bower, a kiosk is close enough for me, unless someone really has a better name.

George! you have a wondeful garden, and can call your asumaya whatever you want to I'd say !

    Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am taught the azumaya is a place to sit and contemplate before being invited into the tea ceremony proper, and a place to rest between the acts of the ceremony. It can take many shapes. One of the most famous azumayas is that at Katsura Rikyu in Kyoto.

    Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 1:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Even in Japan, Romaji spellings of the Japanese words vary from place to place and person to person - even the experts!

    Bookmark   April 20, 2005 at 2:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duckski(z8 SEA)

HI Joe,
There are a few things about this structure and an Azumaya that differ. Probably due to use and location. In Japan's rainy climate, the roof would be solid; and the Azumaya is used for sitting so their would be benches on at least two of the sides. It would also be, like most Japanese buildings, raised above the ground plane by at least one riser. They come from Chinese garden structures, especially the "ting", or, what I prefer to call in English, "gazebo".

So this is a structure you probably would not see in Japan, and a Japnese gardener might not know quite what to call it. But for the lack of another word, azumaya might just be it!

Many tea houses have an accessory building where guests wait before going into the inner garden and the tea house proper: but, it is called "o-machiaishitsu": "o" for honorific, "waiting room", although it would be open on at least one of its long dimentions.

Azumaya indeed could be used by guests as a place to head for and streach their legs in between aspects of Tea.

    Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 10:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joefromsd(San Diego)

Azumaya it is then ! Thanks everyone for the advice.

Here is another one I've designed but not built yet. This one has a (curved) solid roof, but I've shown it here as transparent.

I guess I'll just call all of them azumayas then.

Remember to look right (after opening each pic) and click View>Original Size.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 1/2 mat Azumaya

    Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 12:09PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Kashima maple pruning
First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!...
Dwarf Japanese Maple Damage from snow
We just had a severe snow event last week (5 1/2 ft)...
transplanting a JM seedling
We have a very large Japanese Maple on our property...
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Japanese Maple / Acer advice required
Hi all, looking for some advice on jap. maples/acers...i...
Sponsored Products
Foremost Shower Enclosures Cove 54 in. to 58 in. x 55 in. Frameless Sliding
Home Depot
Chanticleer Fountain
QEP Commercial Pumps 120 Volt Professional Tile Saw Replacement Water Pump 60095
$39.97 | Home Depot
Outdoor All-Weather Single Chaise Lounge Cushion - 93475-SGL-DAC/REO-29
$67.00 | Hayneedle
Little Lamb 3 Tier Diaper Cake - LLDCB
$87.99 | Hayneedle
Casablanca Down Rods Perma Lock 72 in. Onyx Bengal Extension Downrod 99227
$51.00 | Home Depot
Chrome Single Handle Bathroom Faucet
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Roll Out Lid Holder
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™