Japanese Maple Disease?

gina_raeApril 4, 2008

We rent a home with a large, beautiful J.M. we just love. I've not seen this before...

I first noticed the table and chairs under the the maple's canopy are COVERED in something sticky. I looked in the tree and the leaves are covered in a shiny sap of some kind and there are thousands of small fly/gnat things all over the tree. Black bugs with sheer wings and the bugs barely move. Thousands!!

What could this be? I didn't find anything on Google, but I don't know what to search for.

The tree has a bed of wood violets below it, and was pruned in spring '06 (maybe '07). Not sure I can give any other helpful info..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gina_rae

PS: they appear to be aphids.

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 4:10PM
dawgie(z7NC)

Sounds like aphids alright. Insectidal soap is a very effective treatment for aphids and non-toxic. I've used it on my Japanese maples many times to control aphids. Make sure you mix it properly because the soap can damage new growth on JMs if mixed too strong (I found out the hard way). You probably will have to reapply the soap several times at weekly intervals to fully control. Ladybugs are another good organic control measure.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 12:05PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Only our red Jap. maples were affected this year. Tons of aphids dripping sticky stuff. Before you resort to soap or oil, try just spraying them with a firm spray of water. Not enough to knock off the leaves, but more than just a gentle shower. We did several of ours a few days ago and got about 90% of the shiny sticky stuff off the leaves. Stay on it. Those little aphids are sucking the life out of your trees.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
transplanting a JM seedling
We have a very large Japanese Maple on our property...
Eebies49
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
Japanese Maple Cultivars that will root from cuttings:
I caught the Japanese maple bug two summers ago with...
directorrod
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™