Best Place to Order Iris & Tuberose Bulbs

harmonypMarch 24, 2011

This is only my 2nd year of gardening, and I've never planted bulbs before. I want to add Bearded Irises and Tuberose to my new rose collection. Would appreciate any advice on the best places to order bulbs, and which Bearded Irises would do best in a hot dry climate.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I can't help you with the tuberose bulbs, but I understand that they require quite a bit of fertilizer.

The tall bearded irises are another issue. Just about any tall bearded iris will do well in your climate. The "bulbs" are called rhizomes, and you can order them from online sellers. They usually ship them in August, which is a good time to plant them. Some varieties may already be sold out, since people start ordering in January.

I order from a large number of sellers, including Schreiner's, Blue J, Cooley's, Napa Country Iris, Iris4U, Mid America Gardens, Sutton's, Stanton, Horton, Wild Iris Rows... there are a lot of good iris growers, and they have wonderful websites to browse.

Some irises are very fancy and may not get as many flowers as older cultivars. Irises with lots of ruffles and lace can have difficulty opening.

In our climate, reblooming irises are a good choice, because they have two or more bloom periods. Grandma's Purple Flag and Total Recall are two that seem to be everblooming.

Tall bearded iris rhizomes are planted with the top of the rhizome exposed to the air, so follow the directions on how to plant them carefully so they do not rot. They will not survive constantly moist soil.

Have a good time looking through those websites. Post here if you have a question about a particular cultivar and we will do our best to answer your question.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Horton Iris Website with photos

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kyoto36

For iris, the best place to buy is lottsiris.com.
Happy gardening.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 11:56PM
More Discussions
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
Is this Immortality?
I already posted a question about this Iris (see 'Iris...
lydia1959
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™