Hardy Hydrangea???

ditasJuly 10, 2009

Good Morning - Anyone, know anything about this beautiful mopheads of deep, pinks, blues & violets ... fusion of those colors too! (as magnifiscent as the silks at Michael's! - LOL)? HD has them ... gzillions ... greeting (weak kneed) us, as we came in. Late in the day as it was, no available, Knowledgeable person around. No breeder, zone hardiness, care etc on the sticker ... young clerk thought that they are the 'magical' instant, patio woweefier that are cheaper than floral arrangements to grace parties outdoors & impress!

Would it be worth overwintering in the garage to see what it does in '10? I've given up on pretentious divas, but sepals were nearly 50cent size, overlapping, in huge blossoms on fairly sturdy canes!

TIA -

D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

So that is where the hydrangeas went to... I stopped by a HD an counted a total of one ES Hydrangea about a week and half ago or two. And it was not a happy looking camper. Wilted due to the summer weather. But just one.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 10:53AM
ditas

Well Luis - you're welcome to dig up my 2 ES - granting we did go thru a record-killing-winter this '08-9 & none of the marginally tender bloomers' old canes survived ... yet, all 9 managed to surprise me with more blossoms than last season! ESs did survive, greened up & produced a total of 8 blossoms between them! One did give 5 impressively larger ones, but geez the same bush had 30+ last season!!!

So ... what do you know about these beautiful looking Hardy Hadrangeas, HD is flaunting & teasing us with, strategically sitting on those platforms, on both sides of the Garden Center entry ?!!!

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 12:26AM
EGO45(6bCT)

We have the same "Hardy Hydrangeas' (Grown in Canada, heh!) in our local HD.
Just by looking at them one should have no doubts they are truly HARDY hydrangeas...for z8 florists :-))
I recognised in a mix several Teller plants and couple of Ayeshas. That was enough not to look any further.
C'mon, MD. "Fool me once..."
You know what I mean :-)

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 12:53AM
ditas

I had the gut feeling they were too good to be HARDY for us! At least the young clerk was honest ... cheap enough to impress guests at patio parties! So I went home with just what I went there for ... stakes for my still, impressive Blushing Bride!!!

G'nite George!

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™