Alternative to Japanese Maple

bluegreenieMay 20, 2009

I've got a modern house outside of Chicago, and I'd like to make my landscape modern as well (not prairie). My first idea is a Japanese Maple, but the site for it has unrelenting afternoon sun -- a straight West exposure. I also thought pagoda dogwood, but I believe that's a shade tree. And Nandina isn't meant for zone 5. Any ideas? I really like horizontal branching and a lacy look. I have some Viburnum mariesii, but I don't think they'd get tall enough. I need 8-15'.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

I also live in Chicagoland and after losing three Japanese Maples to the northwest wind, I tried Sambuca both 'Sutherland Gold' and 'Black Lace'. Sutherland is now four years old and ten feet high - Black Lace is two years old and I've kept that one shorter and shrubbier because I need the shade in that spot for hosta. They are actually giant shrubs but I've been pruning the heck out of them and they're gorgeous - look just like JM's.

Westy

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 3:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wwangatwork(7a, VA)

Maybe it's the wind or something else, but I have multiple Japanese maples in sunrise til about 7pm sunlight here in Virginia. Once they got established, there's hardly been any scalding on the leaves.

Warren

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Torii
I built a Japanese Torii for my garden.
Meezplz
japanese ilex
I'm still learning about bonsai and i was wondering...
fallennobody
Can gravel be kept clean with a leaf blower?
Can graveled areas be kept clean with a leaf blower?...
castorp
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
Japanese Maple / Acer advice required
Hi all, looking for some advice on jap. maples/acers...i...
ethansky
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™