When to Dig Bulbs

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bMarch 5, 2009

Hello!

I'm very new to Iris growing. 3 of my Dutch Iris have bloomed. The others don't have buds yet. I'm pretty sure you get one bloom per plant, correct?

When do I dig the bulbs up? Do I just leave them in the ground and they multiply? Do I ever dig them up?

We never get snow. Get frost now and then. It's mostly warm here, and blistering hot in the summer. Southern California, Palm Springs area.

I appreciate your help on this!

Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I love my Dutch iris and I leave them in the ground to multiply. If you want to divide allow the foliage to turn yellow before digging - exactly like other spring bulbs.

Sunset zone 13 is safe for wintering. Wouldn't want them in moist soil during summer.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 1:10AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Thanks iris gal! Hmmmm. Our soil is always moist. The HOA (homeowner's association) keeps the sprinklers going night and day. Golf course. Soooooooo, should I dig them up when they turn yellow and keep them in some dry soil in the summer? I'd love it if they multiply!

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 12:38PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Hmmmm..........I notice your name and if you have very sandy, fast draining soil they may be ok during summer. But........if you're in doubt, dig them after foliage ripens and store in a cool dark place until Sept. Or you could place them on top of the soil, covered with sand.

The problem with damp soil during the warm dormant time is rot.

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
iris borers
Last year I had several iris clumps that collapsed...
auntie_grizelda
Planting Iris in March-April in Zone 7 ?
I have a lot of new Iris rhizomes to plant. Here in...
maximus2015
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™