Sealing a Bamboo Fence

jeff_90254(10 CA)June 1, 2006

IÂm building a yarai style bamboo fence. I know these donÂt last forever so I was wondering what I can use to increase its life. My plan was to cut the canes just above a node and install that end up (actually at a 45 degree angle). This way I wonÂt trap water, breed mosquitos, or encourage rot. I was also going to paint the outside of the bamboo with a clear satin Varathane (polyurethane). IÂm wondering how to seal the ends though. IÂve read about filling them with wax, caulk, or even acrylic fiberglass resin. The easiest route would be a few coats of Varathane in the ends as well. Any thoughts or suggestions. Is there a better coating? Thanks.

Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joefromsd(San Diego)

Jeff, I've done alot of exterior woodwork for a very well known Japanese Landscape Architect, trained in Japan. I've watched him build many very nice bamboo fences, and he uses spar varnish. Coats everything, even the black ties. Problem with varnish, and verathane though, is you need to sand, and recoat every year, and who's going to do that?

They do make a 2 part 'lineal' verathane that does last a lot longer then the regular verathane, but it is expensive.

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 8:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimmyfs_gmail_com

What is the product name of the lineal verathane. Where can i purchase ?

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Young Japanese Maple Trunk Rot?
Hi Guys Spring has finally hit Australia and our 2...
AWBL
my little piece of japan (2)
what do you think ???
elramonegouda
Pine Cloud pruning advice
I need some advice on pruning this pine. Here is a...
diyspa
Japanese Maple / Acer advice required
Hi all, looking for some advice on jap. maples/acers...i...
ethansky
Need help choosing plants in JG style
Hi, I need help of the folks with experiences in Japanese...
green_go
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™