Grow basket size for Lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard,

sam_kx4sam(9B)June 29, 2008

I am building from scratch a aeroponic system:

http://www.futuregarden.com/hydroponics/systems_aerospring.html

I plan on growing salad greens, what size grow basket should I use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
technologygarden

Hi Sam, I also have several aerosprings - I built mine myself from some plans in How To Hydroponics, but buying them sure is easier.

I grow romaine lettuce in mine and it can get rather large - I use 4" netcups for almost everything. It really all depends on exactly what you want to grow...example: romaine is larger than baby spinach.

Personally, I'd recommend 2" netcups if you plan on harvesting "baby greens" and 4" netcups for everything but tomatoes. I use 6" cups for my "aerospringed" tomatoes.

Keep in mind I built mine myself from plans in the book how to hydroponics, I believe the aerosprings you can order already precut lids so you may want to ask, unless they do custom builds. I use hydroton/leca clay pellets in my systems and have had great results - just rinse them first in cold running water in a collander.

Best of luck and check out my website if you have some questions you can contact me there

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.TechnologyGarden.net

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 7:08PM
technologygarden

oops, follow up since I can't edit my original post..I just reread your post and I thought you were BUYING since I saw the link to Futuregarden.

If you are building an aerospring replica obviously you can cut your own holes. I have several lids that I switch up depending on what Im growing. I've also connected two together so contact me if you have questions on that, its took me a while to find a way with no leaks

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 7:11PM
sam_kx4sam(9B)

Thanks for the postings. And nice site by the way.

Do you order from Future Garden, they have been unresponsive to email or phone calls.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 7:18PM
technologygarden

Thanks, I do by from them and have had great results..Not sure whats up, Ive always ordered online. I may be able to answer some questions for you if you continue to have problems, or I can try my contact over there and let them know.

I've also had great results from my local worms way (wormsway.com)

best of luck and keep checking my site and contact me there if you have questions

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 8:55PM
futuregarden

Smaller statured plants can be grown in 2" net cups. Using 2" net cups you are better off using smaller sprayers that spray up and out (similiar to EZ-Clone). Futuregarden has been closed for inventory but is now reopen to serve your hydroponic gardening needs.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 4:05PM
sam_kx4sam(9B)

Can you post a link to the sprayers you refer to?

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 8:35PM
technologygarden

This is what I bought at wormsway, 360 degree micro sprayers and this is the only sprayer I've used in my aerospring and homebuilt clone box.

You can probably use these as shown below, they spray upwards as shown in my photo gallery. You can get these at wormsway.com where I bought mine.

You can also raise the spray bar up a little from the plans in the book and that would also get them closer to the 2" netcups, and to compensate, get a larger pump (400GPH plus) and tap a few more sprayers into the system than called for. That should do the trick

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 7:49PM
sam_kx4sam(9B)

Thanks, I ordered those from WormsWay.

OH, I have not used your email as I could not find it on your site.

Starship@sc.rr.com

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 12:46PM
hydroponica(5-6)

If all you're growing is salad greens I'd recommend using a DWC. An aerospring will work for you, but it's more complicated than you actually need. Lettuce and similar plants absolutely thrive in DWC systems, which aside from an air pump or two have no moving parts and nothing to clog/break.

I used 3" cups for my lettuce, and the plants are perfectly fine with that all the way to maturity. Bigger cups just use more media and don't give better results. (Remember, hydroponics isn't about keeping the roots in the pots, it's just about keeping the roots in the system.)

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
Pepper Plant Fruiting
Hi, I am wondering if I can keep continuously fruiting...
StonedTree
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Hydroponics Chillies Problems
Hi everyone. I'm growing some jalapenos and habaneros...
pborgbarthet
Need advice on how to sell indoor hydroponic equipment
Hi there, I live in Western Colorado and have a large...
Robin Palmer
Sponsored Products
Sydnee Satin Orange Drum Lamp Shade 14x16x11 (Spider)
$39.99 | Lamps Plus
Red Diver's Basket - Set of 2
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Artemide | Float L Suspension Light
YLiving.com
Andana Kilim Throw Pillow
Grandin Road
Mini Ellipse Chrome Three-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
$330.00 | Bellacor
Mini T Fireplace Outdoor Cover by EcoSmart Fire
$89.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™