Sand?

Aries(England)June 19, 2005

Hi all, I am creating a suprise garden area for my dad for ffathers day, and it is japanesy in style, by no means proffesional like your gardens are, but that is not the intention. My question is - I have an area of ground to cover around a basin of water, but I have no gravel. I can't leave it bare, but i have found some sand - will this work? I've tried a bit and it looks ok, i just didn't know if it would last or not. The bag says its builders sand. What do you think?

Thanks, matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregoryjohn(z4b/IL)

Aries,
Sand would not be the first choice. The small uniform grain sizes do not 'rake' well and the color does not provide the soothing effects you are looking for. The material of choice is crushed granite and is actually easier to come by than you might imagine. Most farm feed stores carry it in several grades as turkey grit. Also known as 'chicken grit'. The irregular grain shapes are the right size and texture to allow for easy, long lasting raked patterns and the color and luminosity make for a contemplative image. Such a nice gesture for your father. Have fun!

Greg

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 7:52AM
More Discussions
transplanting an older tree in the Summer
I have a 10 year old Japanese maple tree that is in...
ladykatee
japanese ilex
I'm still learning about bonsai and i was wondering...
fallennobody
Your Japanese garden questions
There seems to be little new questions on this forum....
ja-gardener
Rock placement
Here are 2 groupings I've done so far. Looking for...
waterbug_guy
thread or sites with weeping maples in the landscape
Hi folks! I've been searching google images for landscape...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™