HELP! What do i do?

melaroma(6)March 6, 2010

I had planted some irises and had not noticed that they were planted next to a water drain and all winter they have been flooded with water. I decided today to move the irises even though I think its the wrong time to do that. What should I do? Should I pot them inside or plant them elsewhere? I don't even have a space prepared outside at this moment. Are there any specifics as to what should be done? Is it too soon to work with the soil? It is 34 degrees outside and it snowed two inches yesterday so everything is wet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Are these beardeds?

Potting sounds like the best option and hold in the garage until your weather begins to warm. Then plant. If any rhizomes feel mushy you will need to cut the rotting part away & put the remaining in a 10% bleach solution ~ 10-30 min. Lay on newspaper in a dry place overnight. Or rub the cut with Comet.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 11:39PM
Nancy zone 6

I'm zone 6 too, although snow has cleared off here & weather is 50 degrees the last couple of days. If it were me though I'd just try to move them. Press the tops of the rhizome in the ground, if they don't feel mushy to you, I'd just try to dig a big clump of dirt with them & either move them to another spot or pot them up if that is more convenient. Try not to disturb them too much & you "might" get some bloom. If you pot them, I don't think you have to bring them inside, just place the pot against the side of your house where they will be more protected. Of course, if the rhizomes are mushy, you will have to dig them individually & treat as above.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 8:50AM
melaroma(6)

I went ahead and planted them but did not check for mushy parts. I will try and dig them up to check them. Thanks guys!

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 3:13PM
northwoodswis(4)

I used to have a large iris bed in Oshkosh, WI. It was in an area along the street that had gravel under it for the city sewer. In the early spring before the ground would thaw out, water would collect in the bed for a couple weeks. I actually had ducks swimming in my iris bed! Once the ground thawed, the bed was very dry due to the gravel under it, and I would have to water it. The water early in the year didn't seem to hurt anything, I think because everything was still so cold. It would have probably killed the irises to have those conditions in warmer weather. Your irises may be fine, though you should move them once the weather warms up.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
iris borers
Last year I had several iris clumps that collapsed...
auntie_grizelda
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Sponsored Products
George Kovacs | Chimes 5-Light Bath Bar
$240.00 | YLighting
Possini Euro Surface Interplay Opal Glass 6-Light Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
63" Round Stone Outdoor Marble Mosaic Dining Table - LUXOR
Living'ROC
Safavieh Handmade Legacy Blue/ Brown Wool Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Casual Elegance Avocado Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Shag Rug
$469.00 | Bellacor
Textured Lines Rug 12' x 15' - BROWN
$5,899.00 | Horchow
15804AZT Kichler LED Tapered Column Landscape Path and Spread Light
EnvironmentalLights.com
Natural Choti Braided Jute Rug
$29.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™