Japanese Gardens in DC area

Nell(VA 6)June 13, 2009

I am just starting to plan a courtyard garden and I would like to visit some Japanese Gardens for inspiration. I live in Manassas, VA outside of DC and I'd like to know of places within day-trip distance. I have already been to the national arboretum and Hillwood. Surely there are more?

Nell

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronin01

Nell,
If you don't mind the drive... you may want to check out Shofuso in Philadelphia. It would be a full day for you. You can check out their website under Shofuso. The only other place would probably be Brooklyn Botanical Garden.

ronin01

Bookmark   June 13, 2009 at 8:12PM
patings

Nell, although this is virtual, I have been told (Guestbook e.o.) that people do find inspiration at Tsubo-en.
Enjoy,

Here is a link that might be useful: Tsubo-en Zen Garden, Netherlands

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 5:13AM
roychettan

I have one in my back yard - japanese gardern for small space. It is in Herndon, VA, near route 28.

you can see it here (may be little slow some times)
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/photos/51703020_zpid/#

thanks

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 4:24PM
Nell(VA 6)

That's gorgeous! May I ask you how long it took you to develop it? Did you design it yourself?
Thanks,
Nell

Bookmark   June 22, 2009 at 4:39PM
roychettan

Yes, I did it by myself, design, implementation and testing !!. I got couple of books on Japanese garden from Library. Then googled it to get more info. Bought the arch bridge from Big Lots for $65.00. Build the zig-zag bridge from the remnants from home depot. I keep my yard in good condition so Town awarded me the best yard plus $100.00 with that I bought the Japanese lantern (Toro). Bamboos I got it from Maryland. One familty wanted to get rid of the bamboo invasion of their backyard. It took me 4 years !!. Not becuase of actual constuction. I have a 4 year old. When ever I take the spade of pick ax, he wanted it. When ever I move the soil for the pond , he put it back. He enjoyed as much as I did. Now he is 8.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 2:29PM
roychettan

please see my blog

(How to create a Japanese garden)

http://roychettan.blogspot.com/

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 8:38PM
Nell(VA 6)

Awesome blog! Thanks so much!
Nell

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 12:35PM
bosnaidude

Nell,

The entrance to the Bonsai garden at the National Arboretum in DC has a nice small garden. Maymont garden in RIchmond, Va has a stroll garden, and local Richmond Japanese Garden designer Junko Liesfield (Zoengarden.com) has a fantastic garden at her home in Monteplier, Va.

I began my garden 7 years ago in Richmond. I moved into a property with a quarry in my front yard. The quarry is spring water filled and a home for koi. I found 120 boulder in a ditch in the back yard and hired an excavator to move and place them in groupings around the yard. Now installing irrigation and background entohki-en plantings.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 5:55PM
gurujeet

I just built a small rock garden with white gravel in Chevy Chase. I'm interested in meeting other Japanese gardeners in DC area.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 10:29AM
gerris2

Brooklyn Botanical Garden has a very nice Japanese Garden, for certain.

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 8:37PM
Nell(VA 6)

I will go look. Thanks!

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
transplanting a JM seedling
We have a very large Japanese Maple on our property...
Eebies49
Torii
I built a Japanese Torii for my garden.
Meezplz
e-1 size
Can you keep a j m emperor 1 at 8 to 10 feet when they...
shieldsr
Do deer damage rhododendrons in Puget Sound?
Has anyone ever experienced deer damage to rhododendrons...
Giacamo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™