Garden Gate Materials Question

kritter64(z5 IL)June 30, 2005

Hello. First time poster, first time Japanese-inspired gardener. I want to build a very minimal gate as an entrance to my backyard and eventual garden. May seem a silly question, but I was thinking of using clear cedar for support posts/frame and bamboo in the gate door. Is mixing materials like this "ok" to do? My design is certainly not authentic - simply Japanese "inspired" but I want it to have an appropriate look. Thanks for any/all input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bambooo(6 CT USA)

I saw some very nice fences made with cedar slats that had bamboo between them.

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 1:31PM
edzard(3b Canada)

kritter64,..
actually mixing materials to express and provide a feeling is the idea of the Japanese garden. In this way, you are being authentic rather than merely inspired (shin-gyo-so).
In turn recycling, would be even more authentic, by using an old material in a new way. This would reflect the concept of mitate-mono.
for a more 'relaxed' appearance you could use two old tree trunks and the bamboo. For more refinement, your posts would be highly polished.
Mixing and matching shows the creative expression of yourself to others... that is what Japanese gardens are all about.
Addressing the question, "what is beauty".
edzard

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 1:35PM
kritter64(z5 IL)

Thanks, Bambooo and Edzard, for your quick responses. I have a follow on question: I'm looking for some very simple hinges for my gate and having trouble finding them. I've seen them on gates at the Anderson Japanese Gardens in Rockford, IL but they use authentic parts from Japan. These hinges are very simple - essentially a hook and eye design. Anyone have any good sources for Japanese hardware - hinges, latches, etc? Thanks again!!

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 2:22PM
joefromsd(San Diego)

I'd like some sources for authentic Japanese hardware too !

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 7:07PM
kobold(Vancouver BC)

kritter64 , joefromsd, search Google for "japanese tools" or try www.hidatools.com( they are in California).

Andrea

Bookmark   July 2, 2005 at 3:52AM
davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)

Here's a picture of my DH admiring a bamboo and cedar (I think) gate at the Japanese Tea Garden at Central Park in San Mateo, California. I thought it was a nice simple combination of the two.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 12:51AM
kritter64(z5 IL)

Andrea, thanks. Unless I've missed something the hidatools.com is more of a handtools site. I'm not looking for tools but for hinges, handles, locks -- the necessary hardware for mounting a swinging gate. I appreciate the help!

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 3:13PM
kareng7

I'm looking for the same kind of thing. Found this site:

http://www.interactjp.com/eight/eindex.html

They're in Japan. Can't get more Japanese than that. Unfortunately, their specs are all in Japanese. I'm going to contact them for more details.

I've been looking at tansu hardware and been told it's too lightweight to handle a gate. Makes sense.

If anyone's found any other resources, please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eight Site

Bookmark   September 24, 2005 at 5:45PM
kareng7

Me again. Also just found this site. Lots of broken links, but I'm going to give them a call.

http://www.misugidesigns.com/links.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Misugi Designs

Bookmark   September 24, 2005 at 6:16PM
DonPylant(z8TX)

Davissue, very nice gate and very authentic in appearance. This is the type of gate that would lead to a special inner garden path while the person in the photo might be facing the "familiar" entrance to a residence.

Kritter64, call Hida Tool and talk to Suzuki-san. She can tell you if she has a source for what you are looking for. Hida is a great resource. Please post your results for the rest of us.

Edzard, speaking of polished posts, I have come by a 6" x 10' post of Metasequioia. Have you are anyone else used this wood?

Bookmark   September 24, 2005 at 7:45PM
Gardener_KS(zone 5 KS)

You could call Soko Hardware in San Francisco. They are located on Post Street in Japan Town. ( 415 931 5510 )

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 7:09AM
Gardener_KS(zone 5 KS)

Just checked the Eight site. Here's the link for their email question page in English. I bet they could give the specs of a specific piece in metric measurement. Let us know. The photos of the production process are interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eight in English

Bookmark   September 29, 2005 at 7:20AM
LouisWilliam(Z5 MA)

They are not from Japan, but Stanley makes an excellent post and eye hinge set that is perfect for rustic round post gates:

http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HDW+POST+AND+RAIL+HINGES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=760475&SDesc=1%2F2%26quot%3Bx4%26quot%3B+Zinc+Plated%282C%29+Screw+Hook+%26amp%3B+Eye+Hinge

If you want them to look a little bit more handmade, take a ball peen hammer to the ends that show.

Bookmark   October 5, 2005 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
thread or sites with weeping maples in the landscape
Hi folks! I've been searching google images for landscape...
Bama_Joe
Lantern
Some pagoda lanterns in my Japanese Garden.
Meezplz
Kashima maple pruning
First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to everyone!...
Justin
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
other varieties of cherry blossom trees?
I just planted two Kanzan and one Yoshino cherry blossom...
Socal2warm
Sponsored Products
Moonrays Flood Lights. Outdoor Black Low Voltage 20-Watt Metal Adjustable Floodl
$11.66 | Home Depot
Master Mark Plastics 20 ft. Professional Landscape Edging - 1432-4024
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Original Gilded Auricula Study on Linen - GOLD
$895.00 | Horchow
Kenroy Magma Outdoor Floor Fountain
Beyond Stores
Small Bird Rain Gauge Stake
$14.99 | zulily
Mosaic Boho Side Table
| Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™