sick hydrangea

HemleyJuly 14, 2014

I don't know what variety my hydrangea is but it has full white circular blooms. This year it is flowering well, as usual, but is looking a bit tall and spindly, even the flowers look a little less lush and the leaves are going a bit yellow in shade. Do you know what it needs to go back to full health?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I would check the soil pH to see if it is too high and amend the soil if the test confirms it. I would also check to make sure that it is not getting too much moisture and a soil test to see if the levels of nitrogen are too low or high. Plant nurseries should sell soil testing kits to do check the pH and NPK. The shrub seems to be a Hydrangea arborecens like Annabelle.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:33PM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

Health looks normal for an Annabelle. The more shade the brighter the leaves. They aren't native to the UK so might not like the maritime climates per se.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:54PM
Hemley

Thank you both for your answers. You may be right Springwood_Gardens about it being normal, but it has looked better the last couple of years. We will buy some soil tests to check your theory Luis_Pr.
Thanks again, Hemley

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 6:32AM
More Discussions
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™