anyone here grow shiso?

Lynn NevinsJune 6, 2010

Hi all. Is there anyone here that grows shiso? I believe I'd heard before that it self-sows quite readily?

I had a pot of shiso last year. At some point...maybe in the Fall...I forget....the plant appeared 'dead'. I don't think I'd labelled the particular pot, because I knew at the time it was shiso. Then at some point I moved my pots around and put all the 'dead' plants together.

Now amongst all those pots, not only am I seeing the usual random seedlings popping up...'weeds' etc. ....but I am seeing something that looks exactly like shiso....not just in one pot...but in three pots! Is it safe to assume that this must be the shiso...that the seeds did in fact sow into other nearby pots?

Mind you, I usually eat shiso WITH sushi so I don't know 100% how it tastes in its pure form...all alone. Nonetheless, I did eat a tiny piece of one of the leaves in question, and I'm pretty sure it tasted like what I remember of shiso. And as mentioned, the leaves look EXACTLY like shiso....

What do y'all think?

Tx!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Probably is it. Being an annual of the mint family it does reseed quite freely. I have the closely related opal basil that does similar reseeding.

tj

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 8:26PM
miwa

I grow Shiso.
Please look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perilla

and

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_perilla.html

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 8:08AM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

shiso, perilla, should have an herbal minty/basil/cinnamon type flavor. i grow the purple one and it seeds prolifically. japanese use the purple one to color pickled vegetables in big vats.
best,
mindy

Bookmark   June 22, 2010 at 4:18PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Good bet that it is Shiso. It does reseed itself aggressively. There is another thread on GW about it's invasiveness. Search for perilla or shiso and you will find it.

Serrated leaves with a fuzzy texture and a squarish stem, along with the aroma/flavor are the identifying factors. The square stem is a dead giveaway. Enjoy, it is one of my favorite herbs.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 9:12PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple / Acer advice required
Hi all, looking for some advice on jap. maples/acers...i...
ethansky
transplanting a JM seedling
We have a very large Japanese Maple on our property...
Eebies49
Torii
I built a Japanese Torii for my garden.
Meezplz
Do deer damage rhododendrons in Puget Sound?
Has anyone ever experienced deer damage to rhododendrons...
Giacamo
Rock placement
Here are 2 groupings I've done so far. Looking for...
waterbug_guy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™