LimeLight Hydrangeas - Can they be kept thinner/shorter?

klynnedesignsJuly 5, 2010

I just got some limelight hydrangeas to plant on the side of my house. They're not returnable, so I'm sort of stuck with them even if they don't work out :).

I planted them along the side of my house to hide an ugly concrete wall. I do have the room for them to get 6 feet wide, but if they get up to 9 feet tall - I'd have a problem since that is nearly my roof height :).

We have a vinyl fence w/gate that will be covered from street view if they grow to be 6 feet wide so I would like to keep them more in the 4 - 5 foot range.

Is pruning these something that can be done relatively simply to keep them a bit smaller or will I end up having to move these in a year because they've taken over the house? :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joannemb

It is do-able. If you cut them down to the ground in the Fall (some people prefer not to see the sticks all winter long) or Spring, this will keep them slightly on the smaller side. If you find they are still reaching over the 6 ft. mark (wouldn't be for years and years though) you could always prune a foot off in the Summer. You'd be sacrificing blooms of course, but only from the very top--not that big of a deal really. So, is it ideal? Not ideal, but if you're willing to put in a bit more time to trim them up there's no reason why you couldn't shorten them up. Having the room for them width wise (which you have) is more important IMO because Summer pruning to control size would mean losing lots of those beautiful blooms.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 1:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ostrich(3a AB)

I must say that no matter how I prune my Limelight, it will bounce back to this giant size! LOL! I think you may be just a little tight there for a Limelight.... how about that new dwarf version, Little Lime?

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™