Iris for Daylily Garden?

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)March 28, 2009

Last year I put in a new garden bed which is a daylily garden. I left space to plant some other things between but last year just put some annuals as I was not ready to get anything perment between them. Was thinking of maybe bulb lilies but this is not the best arrangement for them in my opinion. Iris would be perfect but I knew I could not do TB as the garden is heavily mulched and they (TB) would not like those tubers totally covered.

Now I realise (duh, the light bulb goes off!) that my thinking was too narrow. What if I planted Siberian and that new (to me I just heard of it today) Spuria Iris between the daylilies? It seems to me that any Iris should work as long as its the type that you bury the root and not plant on top like TB. Am I right or is there a flaw in my thinking?

I have some Siberian here for years and years, I love the folliage and would love more. I just never thought about what sorts of roots they have, they are easy to plant and grow.

Years ago over at another house I also had Japanese Iris. I loved them but it was so long ago that I do not remember much about them. I think they like lots of watering. I can not remember when they bloomed compaired to bearded iris. Are the Japanese Iris ones that would do well in heavy mulch?

Lots of questions but lots of new Ideas in my head for that just daylily garden. I really do not want to plant annuals there every year, I just did that last year as a filler. I want to be able to plant that garden so that it needs not much fuss (I do water) and also add spring flowering bulbs but I have not gotten to them yet either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dragonfly65

I have Japanese Iris and Spuria and daylilies all in the same garden. They will do fine. BEV

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 2:07PM
suel41452

I live in a similar zone as yours. I got a box of reblooming iris from Sam's Club named 'Hemstitched' & 'Feedback'. I planted them in the fall, and the very next spring I got blooms! They bloom very well spring and fall for me. They have been increasing vigorously, too. I really have enjoyed them!

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 6:56PM
suel41452

OOps - that was supposed to be a reply to you reblooming iris post!

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 12:57PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Thats ok, it works just as well here. I know years ago I did buy some bagged Iris in Franks (now out of business) from a display of rebloomers. I never did get rebloom and the iris eventually dies out. Oh, well. I know more know than then about what bearded iris prefer and how to grow them.

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 1:44PM
suel41452

I grow mine around daylilies, but I just make sure the iris are not mulched over their rhizomes. I'm a total iris newbie, and all my other iris took several years to bloom, and most of my rebloomers haven't bloomed yet, or just a single bloom. That's why I was so amazed at "Hemstitched" and "Feedback", they bloomed a lot right off & rebloomed well, plus as I said increased rapidly.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™