Need Nursery Recommendations

TNY78(7a-East TN)March 18, 2013

Hi, I'm an avid rose collector (I have about 600 varieties of roses) but I'm new to iris and was trying to find some reputable vendors. I guess I'm broadening my horizons :) I placed an order with Wild Iris Rows based on DG feedback, and they're in my home state so the plants won't have far to travel. What are some other vendors that you use?

Also, I noticed they ship durinf the hottest months (opposite of roses); do you plant them when they arrive or wait until fall?

Sorry if this is a reptative thread. I looked back through a few pages of posts and didn't see anything. I'll repay the favor is you need any rose advice :)

Tammy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

You should plant them as soon as they arrive.
Here is a list of reputable vendors from the American Iris Society (link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Commercial Directory

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 12:34AM
chadinlg

Tammy, nurseries will ship when the time has come to dig in their location. You can specify a later ship date, and you may get freshly dug rhizomes, or not, or they may run out of the variety you ordered.
Walter Moore has promoted a method for handling the 'I got iris shipped when it was too hot to re-plant" situation. Basically you pot up the rhizomes into 4" pots with potting mix and place them outside in the shade - watering frequently. When the day temps are in the 80's or less with temperate weather in the future it is safe to plant them out. Planting Rhizomes when it is over 90 -100 in full sun may lead to them rotting before they get growing. If you have to plant under these conditions - make some kind of shade - even a shingle stuck into the ground on the South side is helpful.

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 2:35PM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

Thank you both for the advice! It does get into the 90's here on a daily basis during the summer here. Ill be sure not to plant in full sun until closer to fall, but I have quite a bit of gardening space in partial afternoon shade as well. I placed an order with Blue J's and Burgards.

Boy is there some pretty iris out there!

Tammy

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:47AM
madeyna(7/8)

I think Shreiners are the best of the best and include a booklet on how and when to plant thats a huge help for newbys to iris. I,ve been buying from them for many years and they are really quick to take care of any problems and replace any iris that don,t make it in the first year.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 12:13PM
collielover

Wild Iris rows is very good, very generous! It's confusing that their is 2 companies with close to the same name.

Also lakeside iris is great, 760-378-3841. No internet site

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 3:00PM
littlebit_gw

With you being in East Tn..there are 3 near you...and if the iris grow good for them, then you know they should do well for you.

Iris City Gardens..outside of Nashville
Wild Iris Rows Springfield TN
Rocky Top Gardens

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 10:14PM
organic_kitten(8)

And I can tell you I got beautiful plants from Rocky Top, and much bigger ones than some better know nurseries give.
kay

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Coral Point - 2nd iris open
Our record breaking heat 4 days ago must have pushed...
irisgal_z9
Need help with wire worms in my new iris beds
I have hundreds of new tall bearded irises that I planted...
kathemm
potted Iris
I have potted iris and would like advise on how to...
pembroke
Purchased potted irises at local flower
but it's still cold outside in our Zone 5 area. In...
bellarosa
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Sponsored Products
Horizon 4-tier Shelf
Overstock.com
Victoria Gold Four-Light Chandelier with Clear Royal Cut Crystals
$588.00 | Bellacor
Lan Ebony Square Mirror
bryght.com
Asher modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Softest Rug 15' x 20' - CREAM
$8,899.00 | Horchow
Illumine Lamps 63 in. Dark Bronze Floor Lamp CLI-LS494898
Home Depot
Surface Tranformer Rail Pack by Tech-Tiella Lighting
$280.00 | Lumens
Cafe Ole Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™