Gravel/Stones Around Iris??????

jmcbackyarddigger(z6b So IL)March 31, 2012

Weeding iris is a NIGHTMARE. At work I have planted some iris along the side of my building just for the heck of it. That part of the building has no lawn...just gravel over soil (a parking area of sorts).

I rarely have to deal with any weeding whatsoever and they are doing quite nicely.

So I'm wondering if I can't apply this discovery to the home garden as well? Have any of you used rocks/gravel around your iris? I figure that as long as I leave the rhizome's exposed they may do all right.

Anxious to hear what you all have to say

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aquawise(zone 4 Utah)

I use Preen to keep the weeds out of my Iris patch. Works great for any seeds that dare to sprout in there. Don't know about the Gravel though, Never tried it.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 8:57PM
Nancy zone 6

Frankly, I don't see why not, but haven't tried it myself. Seems like it is already working for you, I'd try it. Most iris can really take a lot. Years ago I transplanted planted a bunch of iris in mulch-yes, a big no-no.They grew & multiplied like crazy. If I lost any to rot, I couldn't tell.

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 7:37AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I wonder about the challenge of dividing. I don't like scraping gravel away to dig- it always seems like the rocks get into the soil and my shovel hits them and it jars my knees. I have been pulling gravel out of my garden for so many years now I shudder to think about using it as mulch.
Renee

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™