Newbie waited way too long to plant iris...what can I expect?

blackangus(Austin, TX (8B))March 9, 2010

I ordered a box of bearded iris last fall that was accidentally taken to storage. I just found it. The irises are still OK, it looks like, just a bit dried out, but they are heavy in the hand and not totally dessicated. Several of them still show green on the shoots/leaves. I plan to put them in the ground this weekend. The temps in Austin have been up and down over the last couple of weeks, between 40 and 77 degrees. Assuming I get these in the ground ASAP, what can I expect from them? Should they live? Any chance of them blooming later this year? Any special treatment I should offer the rhizomes? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I just plant and thoroughly soak the area. And I do mean soak. No more water for a month unless Mother Nature delivers.

Some people like to soak dry tubers for an hour or so before planting.

I wouldn't expect bloom this year. Next year? Much depends on your soil's nutrition and the particular cultivar's vigor.

Good luck. We'll want bloom pictures and the story again.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 1:28AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I think they may do okay. I have purchased bearded iris rhizomes from HD at this time of year, and they were pretty dessicated and appeared to be just shy of the next world when planted. Most have managed to resurrect.
Renee

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 1:51PM
glitterglass(7a)

Blackangus - at least your irises were unintentionally stored. I'm a bonafide slacker :D

I'm in a different zone, but I take this to mean that I can plant my irises now and they'll be okay. I don't expect bloom this year, but I want to get them in the ground while I'm on a roll with the bed preparations and soil-working.

I've had the rhizomes sitting in the garage for a year and a half now and they're nice and dry and still have roots on them.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™