6-foot full sun japanese maple

TownhouseGardner(z5)June 1, 2005

Am looking for a Japanese maple that fits the following bill: 1) can be kept at 5 to 10 feet tall; 2) will take full sun from sunup til 2 p.m. in May, June and July (with less sun in August and only about 2 hours by December-January); 3) can survive in Zone 5 winters, in a protected area, in the corner of a 6-foot fence, on the north side of a townhouse, getting north and east sun AND 4) will brighten up a dark patio, so am trying to avoid very dark, large leafed maples like the Bloodgood, although I like the dissected burgundy-colored maples. I also like the Gold FullMoon maple, but am told I get too much sun for it to survive. Do you agree? Suggestions please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DonPylant(z8TX)

I am not sure about your climate extremes, but you have experts in your backyard. Call Chicago Botanical Garden and ask for their Senior Horticulturist. First decide whether you want a light background to frame a dark leaved maple, or provide a contrasting background to compliment a green maple. The disect maples are hard to resist! Buy an inexpensive reed or bamboo shade to experiment with your background. Please post your results!

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 9:23PM
nachodaddy(quiet, I’m trying to meditate!)

Check out Mountain maples at:

http://www.mountainmaples.com

Find the "tree finder" link and play with the drop downs.

Personally I like "TAMUKEYAMA" when I gotta worry about too much sun and I want a dark divided leaf shape. I had one in Redding, CA. for years and it got into the 120s quite frequently. Never burnt.

Michael

Bookmark   June 13, 2005 at 2:06PM
DonPylant(z8TX)

Michael, impressive variety. What are your humidity extremes during this high temp?

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 8:50PM
nachodaddy(quiet, I’m trying to meditate!)

Don;

Not in Redding anymore..... Not very humid in the North Valley. Not like your neck of the woods. A favorite saying about the weather was "it's 120 degrees but it a dry heat...." I could care less, it was hot!!!!

Here is a link to a website that recommends Japanese Maples for hot areas in California. Not sure about high humidity. This list worked for me but your results may vary........

http://www.lakesnursery.com/page19.html

Michael

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 9:31PM
DonPylant(z8TX)

Thanks, Michael

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
e-1 size
Can you keep a j m emperor 1 at 8 to 10 feet when they...
shieldsr
Dwarf Japanese Maple Damage from snow
We just had a severe snow event last week (5 1/2 ft)...
ally77dano20
Young Japanese Maple Trunk Rot?
Hi Guys Spring has finally hit Australia and our 2...
AWBL
Your Japanese garden questions
There seems to be little new questions on this forum....
ja-gardener
other varieties of cherry blossom trees?
I just planted two Kanzan and one Yoshino cherry blossom...
Socal2warm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™