I don't see any Irises sprounting?

ladyrose65March 16, 2013

My Irises I planted in the fall are doing nothing? Did I plant them too deeply? I have the top growth exposed, they are partly green. Should I give it another 2-weeks, or should I hike them up? Getting worried because my lillies got an inch or more of growth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

The tops of mine are green, too, with no new growth showing. Be patient. I wonder though why you think they may be planted too deeply? Are the tops of rhizomes visible? If so, you're OK.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 8:51AM
ladyrose65

No the rhizomes are covered with 1-inch of soil. I have the stalk showing. I think I need to hike them up.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:01PM
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

Don't worry; you are in NJ & it is not April ---we have been having cold nights & snow; they are not going to jump up just yet. But you should have the tops of the rhizomes above the ground, and the bottom "half" of the rhizomes set in the soil. If you pull up one of them you will see that they only have roots coming out of the bottom side of the rhizome.

When the soil is OK to work (ie not a mud ball), lift the rhizomes so they are like feet in sandals---the top part shows.

You must be in South Jersey--zone 6b.

The other thing is, plants that were added to the garden only last fall or summer are not as fast to show action in Spring as the ones that are more established. My crocus clumps that are 10+ years old are up & blooming; the ones I added last fall have yet to show their leaves. Same with the old & new daffodils.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:42AM
ladyrose65

Ofionnachta , Thank You. I will raise them up. I had followed a Youtube video on how to plant them. A lesson learned.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 8:50PM
karen64(6b)

Mine are not doing much of anything yet (Jersey near Princeton). Call me crazy, where did I read rhizomes will push themselves up?

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
how to PM someone??
On this new site I don't see any way to PM anyone....
pembroke
Iris rhizome buying experience and feedback.
I would like to relate an iris rhizome buying experience...
kathemm
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Planting Iris in March-April in Zone 7 ?
I have a lot of new Iris rhizomes to plant. Here in...
maximus2015
Sponsored Products
Landmann Adjustable Firewood Rack - 82424
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Eliot Sectional with Bumper - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Trilliane Silver Eight-Light Crystal Swarovski Elements Pendant Light, 19W x 23H
Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Himalayan Gabeh Stripe Wool Rug
Overstock.com
Besa Focus 6 3/4" High Clear Shade Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Cornflowers Notecard Set
$14.99 | zulily
Sunflower Round Floor Lamp in White
$299.00 | LexMod
Sabrina Rug 8' x 11' - PURPLE/BLACK
$638.90 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for: