Japan trip suggestions?

Juliana63(z5 MI)July 20, 2010

Greetings,

I have 4 days on my own in Tokyo before joining a garden tour group. One day is planned for the National Museum and Ueno Park, and another just for shopping and cultural experience of the city.

One day I plan to go to Kamakura to see some temples and hike the trail that connects them. Can anyone recommend the must see locations and why you think so? There are so many options, it is difficult to choose. Also, is the hiking trail safe for a middle-aged woman to walk alone?

I would also appreciate suggestions for gardens or other sites in Tokyo. I'm not into any city excitement or nightlife scenes.

Thanks,

Juliana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graycam

Hi,

I've been to japan a bunch of times (my wife is from there).

A good day trip might be to Omiya. It's generally the first train stop west of Tokyo. Mabye 30 min on the train. It's famous for Bonsai. I'm a bonsai fanatic and went there last year. It's a very easy day trip. Omiya is nothing special - a big city connected to Tokyo. However the bonsai village is pretty, with about a dozen bonsai growers / nurseries within walking distance of each other. If you go, I'd suggest taking a cab from the station to the bonsai village. Once in the village, there are street maps pointing out where the various bonsai places are.

Enjoy the trip!

Here's a 15 second video clip I made of a nursery in Omiya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySHgBbR8lQY

P.S. Japan is very safe, even for women. Much safer than North America.

Here is a link that might be useful: Omiya Bonsai Village

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple Cultivars that will root from cuttings:
I caught the Japanese maple bug two summers ago with...
directorrod
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
Mini Zen Garden inspired display
Saludos desde Puerto Rico! I plan to make a 3 level,...
Bryan_Boricua
Are Japanese Maples Deer Resistant?
I have several recently purchased Japanese Maples and...
Giacamo
Canadian west coast winter
Not a desirable state for a layout aspiring to look...
hitchhogg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™