Crypto. J 'Rasen' as espalier?

HuldaFognozzleJuly 19, 2011

I just bought a Crypto J "Rasen" for use in a big pot in the inside corner of a solid wood fence in our Asian koi pond garden.

It is about 8 feet tall with lots of branches, will supposedly get to be 20 feet tall, fast grower.

Has anybody trained one of these as an espalier? I think it will be dramatic, very different and exciting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I say go for it.
Judging by your excitement, I'm sure you already have.
I have a lot of different Cryptomeria. I've pruned most. It's been my experience they take to pruning well.
Good luck.
Mike

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 8:48AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Shown developed into a poodle on the internet, although this obscures the foliage contortion that is the point of the cultivar it does demonstrate the tree can tolerate close pruning.

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 2:06PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Right on Bboy. It does obscure the reason it was chosen to be a cultivar. That, of course, doesn't mean it can't be 'pruned' as to the owner's wishes. Usually that ends in disaster, but espalier is pretty straight forward. Not much room for error, if you follow the rules.
I like more creative pruning and paying attention to graduated scale. Short to tall. Small to big, etc.
Maybe constant, as in the world of a scale model train the setting is in. Even then you have edges where the scale goes up.

I liked pruning these Cryptomeria japonica 'Jindai' to look like old growth Doug Firs. They're due to be pruned again as soon as I can get to them. :-) Maybe move a bunch also.
The bigger they get, the closer they are to each other.
I prune as tight as I dare. Plants grow faster than most people realize. Or is it time goes faster the older you get?
Mike

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 8:23PM
plantaholic186(5b/6a)

Pleeeeaaase post pics when you've started!! I am dying to go get a Cryptomeria now......

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
transplanting a JM seedling
We have a very large Japanese Maple on our property...
Eebies49
Rock placement
Here are 2 groupings I've done so far. Looking for...
waterbug_guy
Dwarf Japanese Maple Damage from snow
We just had a severe snow event last week (5 1/2 ft)...
ally77dano20
Building garden in Phoenix AZ
I'm building a Japanese inspired stroll garden in Phoenix...
waterbug_guy
Torii
I built a Japanese Torii for my garden.
Meezplz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™