Plant Water/Nutrient Requirements

piperlesterJuly 10, 2012

I'm looking for any decent resources on the water/nutrient requirements of a variety of plants (from squash to basil, and everything between). I'm building a drip system with perlite as a medium, but in trying to size drip emitters, pumps and reservoir size I've been unable to find anything definitive.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grizzman

in general, a balanced nutrient formula in the range of 500 ppm will grow most anything. It will not be optimized for anything however. If you're wanting that kind of efficiency, you're too experienced to be asking that kind of question.
rez size will be somewhat dependent on quantity of plants, as well as whether you are recirculating or running to waste. for one squash and one basil. a five gallon bucket will be ample. for 10 of each, probably a 30 gallon trash can and plan on watching it close while the squash are flowering.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 1:11PM
piperlester

Thanks... definitely not an expert (my first 'automated' system).

Any advice on daily water amounts (I'm planning to use 1/2gph drippers at the base of each plant). I'm also going to be recovering the runoff, while utilizing a large garbage bin for a reservoir.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 10:31AM
grizzman

That depends on where you live. In north carolina, I water my EnF plants like 2X a day. but in a hot dry environment, you may need to water every hour of so. Enf and drippers should be very similar in how they hold water, but basically you want to get your medium wet and not let it dry out. In NC, I would probably set it up to water for 1/2 hour every 4 or 5 hours and adjust from there depending on weather and growth stage.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
New to Hydrophonics
Hello all ,Im new to the Hydro thing. Im going to start...
fespo
Is a Tower Garden really worth $500?
I am considering buying a Tower Garden (towergarden.com)....
rick_merlander
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
Sponsored Products
Crescent Garden Gramercy Square Planter - A341614
$106.65 | Hayneedle
BluWorld Waterfall Grande Indoor/Outdoor Floor Fountain - Onyx - Clear Glass Mul
Hayneedle
Christopher Knight Home Pink Orchid in Black Wave Container
Overstock.com
Liberty Garden Ornamental Hose Stand - 645
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Empire Tan Nautical On Cream Lamp Shade 9x16x12 (Spider)
$89.91 | Lamps Plus
Single-stem Phalaenopsis Silk Orchid Plant
Overstock.com
Blue Butterfly Hanging Planter
$12.99 | zulily
Metal Stool/Plant Stand
$129.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™