Iris' Falling Over!

goddessemer6(z9a NV)April 11, 2007

It's been so windy around here lately! I came home from work today and found my poor Blueberry Bliss bent forward and the bloom sitting on the ground. My iris aren't planted very deeply, pretty much just the roots are underground and then an inch or so of mulch lies on top of and around the iris. I was afraid of getting rot so I planted them all very shallow.

What can I do to prevent them from tipping over? Should I plant the iris deeper or will I do them harm trying to replant when they're in bloom? Or are there any sort of specific props I could use to keep the stalk upright with out detracting from the look of the iris bed? Any thoughts or advice would be very appreciated! Thanks!

~Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marvine(z7/8 GA)

It's the combination of wind and weak stalks. I don't think planting deeper would do any good. Some will fall over even without wind. Thin bamboo sticks make for a good support. I use iron "rebar" but it's not very attractive.

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 5:39AM
goddessemer6(z9a NV)

I've looked at the iris closely today and I agree I don't think I can do anything but figure out a support for them. I seen something I liked online, but it was a bit pricey. I'll just have to get my DH to make something, I'm thinking maybe 18" thin rods of metal and have him twist the tops of them into a loop and just place the bloom stalks through them for support. Keeping my fingers crossed!

~Rose

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 12:21AM
dholt(8a TX)

Living in WINDY Texas, I know exactly where you're coming from. Planting deeper will not help at all... and is not recommended. Bamboo stakes, roughly 3/8" diameter and 36" tall can be found at most larger Home Improvement Centers. I get mine at Lowes. They also come in very ridgid green plastic of various lengths.You can buy 1/4" wide green ribbon in spools at a craft store. Simply push the stake into the ground, wrap the ribbon around the stalk and pull towards the stake until it's upright. Then tie a knot to hold the stalk where you want it to stay. Works great, simple, easy and inexpensive. The looped rods would work too, but you would have to push into the ground close to the rhizome, which I don't like to do. With the stakes, you can place virtually anywhere around the plant, and they are not too obtrusive. Good Luck... I've resorted to eliminating the ones that just can't take the wind.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 1:57AM
shilty(6)

Where ever you find those green painted wooden stakes you will also find velcro green garden tape....allows you to
secure the stalk to the stake without a tight knot.

Takes about 1-1/2" piece per stalk.

Get the 48" stakes so you have enough to put deep into the ground and can stake the stalk up by the branching.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 11:56PM
gaetanol(z6NY)

What's the best way to promote stronger stalks so they don't buckle under the weight of the flower?

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 3:43PM
shapiro(5a Ontario)

For Gaetanol: the 3rd number in fertilizer is potassium and it says on the package that potassium promotes stronger stalks, also resistance to disease and winter damage. Certain varieties of iris have thick, strong stalks and others just seem to be thinner and weaker. For instance, I have an iris called Autumn Snowdrift - white with a tinge of blue around the edges - it is beautiful but really bad for weak stems. C'est la vie!

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
Mystery irises
We bought this house three years ago, and there is...
puglogic
potted Iris
I have potted iris and would like advise on how to...
pembroke
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
daves10z7annv
how to PM someone??
On this new site I don't see any way to PM anyone....
pembroke
Sponsored Products
Castellina Aged Iron Six-Light Pendant
Bellacor
Artisan Handmade Copper Gladiolus Sprinkler
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Mobile Pedestal with Iris Fabric Seat and Laminate Front File Drawer / Storage D
$529.99 | Hayneedle
3-pin XLR DMX Decoder-Studio 4-Channel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Moroni - Chaise Sofa - Iris Top Grain Leather Left Chaise Sofa in...
Great Furniture Deal
Access Lighting 52148-ORB-AMB Iris Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
Robert Abbey Iris Nickel Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Stogie II Pendant by LBL Lighting
$188.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™