Everything went to Poop

SuperLue72July 7, 2011

I made a deepwater culture planter, followed all the best advice I could find. I bought some good size tomato, jalapeno and bell pepper plants from a nursery and after the second day all the leaves have dropped off. What happened?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SuperLue72

I used a 10-5-5 nutrient but reduced the measure per gallon cause I thought the nitrogen would be a little to high to start with. I placed the plants in partial shade for a couple days then moved into full sun for about 7 to eight hours a day. After I moved then into the sun is when they got bad.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 11:20AM
ethnobotany

Sounds like you used soil nutrients?

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 3:31PM
SuperLue72

It was maxi grow, supposed to be for hydro fruits and vegetables.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 4:42PM
homehydro

What's the water temp? Small volumes of water heat up quickly (especially when sitting in the sun). Flowers and leaves falling off is typical of heat stress.

P.S.
Also, what do the roots look like? What does the nutrient solution look like (cloudy, foamy, algae growth, smell's bad)? Did you damage to the roots when you washed off the soil? Are you using a air pump and air stones?

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 5:19PM
joe.jr317

In that fast of time, I would say the plants were screwed up from the get go. Even bad solution shouldn't lead to defoliation on the second day. Wilting, yes, but defoliation? Missing some info here. Water or medium contamination? Did you spray an herbicide or have a neighbor that did nearby? Of course, even Roundup won't defoliate your plants by the second day. It can kill them, but the leaves don't fall off immediately.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 9:20AM
SuperLue72

I kept the water temp around 75 degrees, I had an out container filled with water as a buffers and it had morning sun only. The container was 18 gallons. The roots are mostly that yellow green root color, there is a little brown but that was there when I unpotted them. The solution is clear with a green tint from the nutrients. I thought I handled the roots gently enough but to tell you the truth that was the first thing I thought of. I probably should not have used a watering wand on them like I did. I have an 18" air stone and a 2" round air stone. The stems look good and this morning I noticed leaf buds on my tomato, it is probably just shock like you said. Any suggestions to help them out?

Thanks everybody, I reaslly want to make this work and not get discourged.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
Who Else Has Vertigro Stackers?
I'm curious how many people are using Vertigro Stackers...
twisted76017
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
DWC leaves yellowing
I have a DWC system and am using Rapid Rooter Plugs...
jjocsak
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™