Red Japanese Maple is wilting!

believer81(NC)July 18, 2006

I received a Red Japanese Maple almost a year ago for a birthday present from my son. I have had it outdoors ever since watering at least every other day and it has been doing very well and had new growth in the spring. Recently I noticed some small white spots on the plant and today I noticed many leaves were wilting, drying up. It's been hot, but was hot last summer too and never noticed this before and I have been watering it. Does anyone have any ideas? I still have it in its original container. Please advise as I don't want to lose it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrMiagi48386(z4 usa mich)

Hi Believer,
First of all, i'm no expert on J.maples but i've grown some nice ones on my property. If it's still in a nursery container, get it in the ground. If your soil is heavy, dig in some sand and peat to loosen it up. Pick a spot where it's not in sun all day. A spot that gets afternoon shade.
Plant the root ball a bit higher as opposed to too deep and put about 2in. of mulch over the planting area. As to watering, you'll have to be the judge. They like a moist but well drained soil. When it starts to look better,hit it some acid fertilizer, like Miracid at half the recommend dose. Hope i was some help to you. I live in Mich. My soil is very sandy and has been amended with top-soil and shreded oak leaves. I'd attach a pic of my 15ft.'Blood Good' beauty in the front of my house but haven't learned how to attach a pic with a message yet. Good Luck

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 11:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrMiagi48386(z4 usa mich)

Pic of our Japanese Maple in the photo gallery. Print
Japanese Maple in search box.

Bookmark   July 31, 2006 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
transplanting an older tree in the Summer
I have a 10 year old Japanese maple tree that is in...
ladykatee
Scorched Japanese maple
Hi guys I live in Melbourne Australia I have had my...
jamie333
my little piece of japan (2)
what do you think ???
elramonegouda
Do deer damage rhododendrons in Puget Sound?
Has anyone ever experienced deer damage to rhododendrons...
Giacamo
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™