Which of my seeds suitable for hydroponics?

bearstate(9A)July 16, 2007

I've got a number of seeds that I'd like to start and before putting them into a drip type hydroponic system that I have, I'd like to save time by understand which are suitable for this.

I know from reading that seeds that eventually develope rhizomes, tubers and the like are claimed not to be suitable. There are likely others that simply will not tolerate the abscense of a blanket of soil or perhaps even certain pH values that the standard hydroponic system doesn't offer up.

Here's my seed list ...

Lantana

Blue Jacaranda

Tecoma Sambucifolia

Tabebuia Chrysostricha

Rhododendron Griersonianum

Aloe Kedongensis

Aloe Camperi

Senecio Petasitis

Anthurium Crenatum

Are any of the above suitable for starting out hydroponically?

I also have Dicksonia Antarctica, the Tasmanian Tree Fern, but somehow doubt I can grow this hydroponically. Can I?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bearstate(9A)

That's what I like ... the certainty of knowing that someone else has already been there and I can learn from their mistakes!

Not this time, I gather.

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 2:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tclynx

Many people may not even know much about the plants you are asking about. I'm also pretty sketchy about most scientific names and so have no idea even what sort of plants you are asking about. If you can share some of the more common names and descriptions you might get more of an answer.

Almost any plant can be grown hydroponically. Even ones that grow rhizomes and tubers, they just might require a different type of system than might be best for say tomatos. (I've seen pictures of some great sweet potatos grown in hydroponics.)

Another think that could help people to figure out how to answer your question is what kind of system are you planning on using? If say you have an NFT system of a certain size, that might steer you away from certain plants on your list and favor others. If you are just trying to get seeds started, perhaps some type of propagator is all you need but if you are planning to grow to a specific size for sale, then you might need something all together different.

Good luck

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
Hydroponics
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Online Hydroponics Management Program. PonicsPal!
I developed an online hydroponics management program...
PonicsPal
PVC Tower System - Adding oxygen mid-stream
I have built my first hydro system from 4" PVC...
topher_cohen
New to hydroponics
I just found out about the idea of hydroponics after...
kesaber
Starting plants from grocery store cuttings
This is something that I have been playing around with...
Kyle A
Sponsored Products
Acura 3 Seat Right Sectional With Chaise
bryght.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Plum 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Rotunda Towel Ring
Signature Hardware
P5131 Wall Sconce by George Kovacs
$150.00 | Lumens
Finn Stone Style Ball Chair
IFN Modern
Silver Wide Elliptcial Bathroom Sink | Durable Slanted Modern Italian Design
maestrobath
Series 7735 Opal/Silver Foil Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture
$630.00 | Bellacor
Hudson Falls Pendant