moving irises

kateharglerodeApril 13, 2012

I have an older home is SW Oklahoma that has hundreds of Iris that are probably very old and had been planted in the 40s, 50s and 60s. I am selling and the new owner could care less so I want to take some of these plants with me to Arizona. I have raised irises in central AZ long ago, how do I safely move these plants and when do I transplant them in their new home?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Biggestfeet(9a or 9b)

Spring is not the best time to move iris, but if you don't have a choice, this is what I would do. Pick out some of the healthist plants and if able, save some of the soil and place in a pot. Keep moist and in a shady place until you are resettled in your new digs. Depending on what part of AZ you will be living in would determine what side of your home you will want to replant in. Let me know and as a desert rat, I can give you more info on that. If your not able to keep some dirt around them, then move as dry root, place is paper bag, NOT PLASTIC. The iris you have are the old historic ones and they are tough. They could be left out of the ground for months and still survive. Again, let me know what part of AZ and we'll go from there. There are many iris clubs in AZ, so it would be a good idea to get involved with one and they could really be of help in your new location. Good Luck.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 10:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kateharglerode

I was planning on planting them on the east side of the house so they would have some sun, but right now the yard is almost raw desert in west Phoenix. It might take me some months to landscape and prepare proper beds

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 6:40AM
More Discussions
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
Question about Bearded Irises
I planted two Jurassic Park bearded irises two years...
GrammaFluff
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™