Transplanting iris in spring

shanibhApril 30, 2010

HELP!!! I dug up irises at the beginning of April (Chicago) from someone who wanted them out. I know it is not a good time to transplant irises but thought I would take a chance (there were lots of them and I was landscaping my back yard from scratch). The leaves were already about 12-15" tall when I transplanted them. They have now been in the ground for over 2 weeks, and the leaves are pretty limp on the ground, though it does not look like the plants have died. I need advice on how to treat the irises now. Should I cut the leaves down to the base and continue to water with a hope that it will grow and flower next year, or should I leave the leaves on the plants at this point? Thanks for any advice or suggestions on how to "save" the irises from dying.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I assume these are beardeds?

You watered well after replanting to settle soil around the roots and rhizome? Good. Now stop watering or you may encourage rot. Allow the top 4-5 inches of soil to dry out before watering (soaking!) again. Don't worry about the foliage being limp. It may be able to manufacture some food for the rhizomes. If not it will turn yellow and you can trim those leaves off at that time. What will happen: new leaves will appear.

These iris have time for a great root structure to grow before winter. Whether they will bloom next year is impossible to say. If it's a vigorous grower there's a good possibility. Good luck on your landscaping.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™