Gesila - marrics markers

marricgardensJune 25, 2013

My husband makes the markers. We tried some of the shorter ones but with the strong winds we have here they were constantly being pulled out of the ground and I got tired of having to look for them! He goes to Metal Mart and buys the sheet metal for the tops and then cuts them to size, depending on the name length. He also buys the thicker pieces used for the stalks, he cuts them longer so we can push them into the ground further and they seem to stay put. After he attaches them with a rivet, I print out the name on a P-Touch and stick it on. We tried gluing the pieces together but it didn't always stay attached. The sheet metal also has a piece of plastic on one side that has to be peeled off. Forgot to mention we bend the top back a bit so its easier to read the label.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sidney1515

I like them. The look very sturdy and easy to read.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:34AM
on_greenthumb

Really nice

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 10:20AM
on_greenthumb

Really nice

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 10:21AM
almosthooked

So professional, sure beats my ugly sticks

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:36PM
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON(5b)

These are really nice - do they rust?

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:51AM
ci_lantro

Good looking markers, Marric. I gotta' do something to improve on my mini-blind slat system that doesn't work very good. Nice winter project.

Paula, Marric's markers look like they're made of aluminum. Copper would be very nice but expensive although copper prices have decreased somewhat. (The stake could be make of copper pipe or tubing and the name tab attached with rivets like Marric's hubby did.)

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 5:55AM
marricgardens

You're right , they are aluminum. We chose that because they won't rust! The copper would look nice because it would get a nice patina as it ages. They would be expensive though. Marg

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:07AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

Here's a sample of homemade (not by me) copper markers. The base was made out of flattened copper pipe, the lettering on a computer and covered with some sort of clear plastic. They're quite durable and the one in the photo is about 10 years old. However they are very labor intensive to make and the nursery that made them no longer does so.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:31AM
Gesila(MI Z5)

Marrics, thanks for posting. These are great!

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 9:18AM
paula_b_gardener 5b_ON(5b)

Thanks, I am always looking for marker ideas.

Paula

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:26PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I like yours, SquireJohn. I have some stainless steel bird cage trays which I do not need, and wonder if I could cut them up in strips for markers. The ones with the wire-like prongs always get caught on things when I begin tipping pots for the winter. Something flat and tall with the writing like your example might work better for me in the pots.

I am looking at Hobby Lobby for the white plastic pointy-ended markers that are thick and sturdy. Ed McHugh uses them for his hosta. Do not know where they are sold. I like a fine line marker to do the lettering, for now anyway, since I've put enough money into this passion. Maybe later a Brothers lettering thingy would be a Christmas present.

Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
Pips in Sweden
I think the USA got our winter by mistake this year...
stoc zone 6 sweden
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
Hosta S 2014
Q. What is the biggest word in the world? A. Smiles....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Trying to get a link to work
A link was added to this post. Let's see if it shows...
tsbccowboy
Hosta Ruffled 2014
The kiss of the sun for pardon, The song of the birds...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™