Jumping in with questions

Rio_GrandeJuly 4, 2013

I jumped in yesterday and picked up a few gutter downspouts a pump a tank. I already have net pots, hose, fittings and rock wool. Think I am gonna use Ricone's style nutrient because we have the ingredients.

My question with 2 inch net pots if I cut a two inch hole it will sit on the bottom of the tube. Should I drill a smaller hole to raise it up higher off the bottom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Southpac-hydro

there's a lip on the net pot. at least catch that.
i would think you want some toom for roots to row downward, wont comment on depth.

for cutting holes, you could take one into "harbor tools" and look for a glass hole bit to drill the plastics, it can be undersized. you can then "auger" the hole out. if you use a wood hole saw with jagged teeth...you wont be able to waddle the hole out.

this might not be 100% optimal, but its what i had laying around, and used.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 6:06PM
Rio_Grande

There is nothing optimal about what I am doing here. More of a proof of concept and an attempt not to go broke doing it. I am going to build a dwc at the same time but I ain't too worried about it. That seems simple.

I was planning to run the hole saw backwards, but I will look into what you recommend. Thanks for the response.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 6:13PM
Rio_Grande

There is nothing optimal about what I am doing here. More of a proof of concept and an attempt not to go broke doing it. I am going to build a dwc at the same time but I ain't too worried about it. That seems simple.

I was planning to run the hole saw backwards, but I will look into what you recommend. Thanks for the response.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 6:14PM
grizzman

Rio
I use downspouts and 2" net pots. If you cut the holes with a hole blade and the top sits flush with the outside of the gutter (can't remember which size "bit" I used) they won't touch the bottom of the trough. You'l have maybe 1/4" below the pot.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 8:34AM
Rio_Grande

Thanks grizz. Will be cutting them today. This is cool! Wish it wasn't so,hard to post pix here!

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
8 days into hydroponics- helpppp
Hi everyone, First time with hydroponics and first...
Odarka
Floating Raft system
i am interesting to build a green house with Floating...
nikolascyprus
Hydroponically Grown Kale - Convert to Soil?
I bought a package of hydroponically grown kale plants...
eahamel
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™