Life after Hydroponics: How should I put a plant back into soil?

ines_99July 23, 2006

I have a plant that just isn't doing well in a hydroponic set up. I have tried everything and give up, I'd like to plant it into soil. What is the best way to do this without shocking the plant too much? Is there any particular soil that will make the transition easier?

The plant has probably been in a hydroponic container since it was a few rooted cuttings. It's a hoya, it was small when I got it( in the hydro container )and grew a bit initially, but has done nothing for years, even with fertilizer, good light etc- nothing seems to matter. It is one of those high priced hydro pots with the clay balls and built in thermometer and I would like to use the pot for another plant that will appreciate it!

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
h0uzz(7.625)

Before you re-transplant mama, make a few cuttings for backup, root them in your hydro system, and transplant the new babies in soil before the roots get too long, or you can also try rooting the cuttings in soil.

For the mama plant: perhaps you can replace the clay with perlite/vermiculite or rockwool, trim the roots back by 1/3 and continue growing mama in the hydro for a while. If/when mama recovers, you can then transplant everything into soil. Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 8:48PM
ines_99

so I guess I shouldn't just repot into well draining soil, huh? Darn, that's what I wanted to hear...

I should use a mix of perlite and vermiculite - or use one or the other?

Thanks "aunatural" ( sorry, but with that name I picture you watering your plants naked!! )

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 8:30AM
h0uzz(7.625)

It's too HOT for clothes. LOL! ;)
Unfortunately, it just doesn't look good for the Hoya. I think now that you should cut it way back to reduce stress on the roots, and then use all the cuttings to start new plants.
As you know cuttings rooted in a solid medium have less brittle roots than plain "water roots". My earlier thinking of cutting the roots back and regrowing in per/vem was to encourage non-water roots to grow into the medium. You will need to stress the plant with a "controlled drought" for this to be successful.
If you want to try this, 100% perlite dries out too quickly, 100% vermiculite stays water logged too long and becomes anerobic. There are some good starting mixes available at any nursery--usually some combination of perlite/vermiculite/sand/peat.

see this

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplant shock

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Hydroponics Chillies Problems
Hi everyone. I'm growing some jalapenos and habaneros...
pborgbarthet
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
What can I do to learn more about planting or farming????
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
New to Hydrophonics
Hello all ,Im new to the Hydro thing. Im going to start...
fespo
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
Sponsored Products
Copper Window Box Planter with Lattice Frame
Signature Hardware
Jaipur Traverse Wood Grain Area Rug - RUG111585
$83.00 | Hayneedle
Slate Two-tone Demilune Console
Overstock.com
133" Red Cedar Canterbury Arbor w/Gate & 2 Wings
Fifthroom.com
Luxembourg Stacking Side Chair - Set 4 - Fermob
$1,400.00 | HORNE