Brestenburg - Outside or Inside??

mommanature(z5)July 27, 2008

Hello All!

I received a Brestenburg Hydrangea as a gift. It came wrapped in the pretty gold foil, and was blooming beautifully. It died back a bit, but now its sending out more buds and leaves.

My question... Is this a hydrangea that could be planted outside and left for the Western New York winters, or should it be left in a pot and wintered indoors? If potting is the answer, what kind - where to keep it - etc. Thanks for your expertise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Congratulations on your new gift, mommanature. That is a nice present. Unfortunately, it will not be able to survive Zone 5 Winters and will need winter protection techniques if planted outside. If planted in a container, you will need to bring it into an unheated room -like a car garage or shed- once you get your first frost of the season (remember to water once or twice a month while dormant!). This variety can be planted outside without protection up to Zone 6. And it should be able to handle more than 4 hours of sun (part shade) where you live.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 5:35PM
ego45(6bCT)

'This variety can be planted outside without protection up to Zone 6. '

Meaning zone 7 and up.
My two inground attempts resulted in a two semi-dead bodies the very next spring, forget about blooming.
Otherwise, it's a great cultivar and worth the problems of overwintering.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 8:44PM
mommanature(z5)

As a kid, I remember my grandmother burying egg shells around her hydrangeas. Is this good for them? It sounds like I need to keep my Brestenburg in a pot. I have lots of egg shells that I could add - Good idea?

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 4:29PM
anderson4850_att_net

can i plant my brestenburg out side ? and do i dead head the dead flowers? seem like mind requires a lot of water. the leaves are turning brown and falling off. the flowers droop and then after i water them they perk up. thank -you joan

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 10:02PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

It can be problematic if planted outside in Zone 6, let alone some of the colder zones in Illinois. Read ego45's experience in Zone 6 above. Deadheading can be done at any time. But you can leave the plant outsize in a spot that gives it afternoon shade and no-little wind. Potted plants do need more frequent waterings. If the plant leaves are turning brown from edges, it could be lack of moisture. Insert a finger into the soil to see if it feels dry or almost dry; water if needed. Top it with some mulch to help reduce the need to frequent watering.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™