Brestenburg - Outside or Inside??

mommanature(z5)July 27, 2008

Hello All!

I received a Brestenburg Hydrangea as a gift. It came wrapped in the pretty gold foil, and was blooming beautifully. It died back a bit, but now its sending out more buds and leaves.

My question... Is this a hydrangea that could be planted outside and left for the Western New York winters, or should it be left in a pot and wintered indoors? If potting is the answer, what kind - where to keep it - etc. Thanks for your expertise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Congratulations on your new gift, mommanature. That is a nice present. Unfortunately, it will not be able to survive Zone 5 Winters and will need winter protection techniques if planted outside. If planted in a container, you will need to bring it into an unheated room -like a car garage or shed- once you get your first frost of the season (remember to water once or twice a month while dormant!). This variety can be planted outside without protection up to Zone 6. And it should be able to handle more than 4 hours of sun (part shade) where you live.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 5:35PM
EGO45(6bCT)

'This variety can be planted outside without protection up to Zone 6. '

Meaning zone 7 and up.
My two inground attempts resulted in a two semi-dead bodies the very next spring, forget about blooming.
Otherwise, it's a great cultivar and worth the problems of overwintering.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 8:44PM
mommanature(z5)

As a kid, I remember my grandmother burying egg shells around her hydrangeas. Is this good for them? It sounds like I need to keep my Brestenburg in a pot. I have lots of egg shells that I could add - Good idea?

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 4:29PM
anderson4850_att_net

can i plant my brestenburg out side ? and do i dead head the dead flowers? seem like mind requires a lot of water. the leaves are turning brown and falling off. the flowers droop and then after i water them they perk up. thank -you joan

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 10:02PM
luis_pr

It can be problematic if planted outside in Zone 6, let alone some of the colder zones in Illinois. Read ego45's experience in Zone 6 above. Deadheading can be done at any time. But you can leave the plant outsize in a spot that gives it afternoon shade and no-little wind. Potted plants do need more frequent waterings. If the plant leaves are turning brown from edges, it could be lack of moisture. Insert a finger into the soil to see if it feels dry or almost dry; water if needed. Top it with some mulch to help reduce the need to frequent watering.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™