Japanese Gardens in notable Periodicals

edzard(3b Canada)August 16, 2005

All,...

another interesting note of the acceptance, the need and the way in which Japanese gardens are becoming mainstreamed into our cultural, urban and landscape solutions is to be found in this months edition (August 2005) of Landscape Architecture.

Featured are Hotarumibashi Park and Robert Murase's home at Gray's Bay, Washington.

(a sidebar is also an article on pebble mosaic pavings (Jeffrey Bale) most commonly found in Chinese gardens, certainly excellent inspiration for the DIY person in need of paving wishing personal expression)

Does anyone know of any other periodicals that have featured Japanese gardens or techniques in the last while?

thanks,

edzard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nachodaddy(quiet, I’m trying to meditate!)

Edzard;

Not to hijack this thread but Murase-san's stonework is extraordinary. Not forced. Subtle. His works are everywhere in the Seattle and Portland area.

It is sad that his retreat at Gray's Harbor was published so soon after his unexpected death. I was living in Vancouver, WA. at the time of his Esther Short project and was able to see his detail in the build process. A true master.

To answer the original question, I'll keep my eyes open.

Michael

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 11:37PM
chenmeimei(Hong Kong)

Did you see Japanese garden mentioned in any travel magazine?

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 6:18PM
inkognito

I am not sure where you want to go with this particular enquiry edzard. One way to look at it is to think that what is particular (peculiar) to a Japanese garden could divert the mainstream yet you know this is not possible and that the Japanese garden joins the mainstream. So what then? Would you prefer that it remains distant and somewhat esoteric?

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 6:38PM
edzard(3b Canada)

Fortunately for all, its been a long long day, so I'll be brief.

I suspect and have observed that japanese gardens and the techniques are becoming very mainstream. Are they? Or is it my imagination?

August or September, Gardens Illustrated featured Shunmyo Masuno, cemetary gardens.
The back cover of Fine Home Building, September I think, was dedicated to hmmm, mind is slow, the guy who is featured often in JoJG, Bennet ? that specializes in building Japanese custom homes.

Yes, there were some gardens mentioned in travel magazines and high end 'Lifestyle' publications, for example a hotel and resort, featured in Dwell magazine (hmm, August, I was at the airport) with a superb garden in Kitsura that had a kabuki theatre moved in at the turn of the last century.

I wondered, INKognito, what I may also be missing since I don't get out much, and when I do, I work too many hours to visit news stands... I felt that others may have noticed some things I missed.
edzard

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 10:21PM
chenmeimei(Hong Kong)

Where is kitsura?

Bookmark   November 19, 2005 at 11:54PM
keithnotrichard

I saw an article in the San Francisco Chronicle recently. The Japanese garden at Golden Gate Park is under attack for selling "unauthentic" candy bars and so forth.

Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 1:32PM
ScottReil_GD(z5 CT)

Marc P. Keane just wrote a great article for Garden Design just a few issues back..., heck, even I garnered a quote in the New York Times two years back on just this very topic...

You must get out more, Edzard...

;)

Scott

Bookmark   February 10, 2006 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Canadian west coast winter
Not a desirable state for a layout aspiring to look...
hitchhogg
Torii
I built a Japanese Torii for my garden.
Meezplz
Your Japanese garden questions
There seems to be little new questions on this forum....
ja-gardener
transplanting a JM seedling
We have a very large Japanese Maple on our property...
Eebies49
Please help! How can I save my 7' Fireglow??
I really hope someone can help me. I purchased a 7'...
BluRdgMtns
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™