Too late to plant bearded iris in zone 6b?

vettin(z6b Northern VA)April 5, 2014

Have a spot for them. Too late to plant? It has been an unseasonably cold winter and everything is now blooming at once from forsythia to cherry blossoms to daffodils. If not too late to plant, how do I prepare iris bed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Beardeds need full sun and good drainage. Bed preparation depends upon your soil. I like to dig in bonemeal and a low-nitrogen fertilizer. Schreiners site has lots of information.

Probably 2 months to bloom time in your zone. If so you may not have bloom this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.schreinersgardens.com/how-to-grow-care-for-bearded-iris

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:48PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

vettin, there's a Memorial Day garden fair not far from me, and a vendor sells bearded iris rhizomes. I've planted them successfully -- even had some flower the same summer.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 10:13PM
cecily(7 VA)

Meadows Farms nursery (and probably Merrifield Garden Center) have bearded iris in gallon pots for $12 apiece. I almost bought Titan's Glory yesterday but decided I don't really have a good place for more iris. If you plant potted iris now, they will bloom in May. Ordering rhizomes from Schreiner's gives you a MUCH greater selection but they arrive in August and don't bloom the first year. You may see dried out rhizomes in bags at the box stores -- don't buy those, they were dug last summer and are near death.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 10:51AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

The normal time to dig and plant bearded iris is summer. Potted iris from garden centers can be planted now, or next month. They aren't picky on timing.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Iris rhizome buying experience and feedback.
I would like to relate an iris rhizome buying experience...
kathemm
Coral Point - 2nd iris open
Our record breaking heat 4 days ago must have pushed...
irisgal_z9
Need help with wire worms in my new iris beds
I have hundreds of new tall bearded irises that I planted...
kathemm
Planting Iris in March-April in Zone 7 ?
I have a lot of new Iris rhizomes to plant. Here in...
maximus2015
iris borers
Last year I had several iris clumps that collapsed...
auntie_grizelda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™